"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Wednesday, July 24, 2002

Before posting my load of crap for the day, I will reply to the previous posts by others in reverse chronological order, which I don't normally do :)

I think NS details are boring, but hey, I want to track my "lost years" in some way, so I know they weren't totally wasted. Well.

Ahh the vicious circle of thievery and recrimination. Just return the damn thing! The Golden Rule rocks. My naivete is refreshing, is it not? :)

I suppose our eclectic mix of posters, posting on a wide range of topics, serves to attract a great deal of surfers searching for eccentric stuff. Oh and there's the zaogeng, how could I forget? Just one quote from my BMT sergeant here, and we see what results we get! Do these people try and peer down blouses and up skirts in real life? And you forgot the most important keyword for Islamic terrorism - Mohammad! Or variant spellings - Mahomet, Muhammad, Mohammed, Mahomet - anymore?

SCGS - yellow?

Ahh I am lamentably deficient in reading High Fiction and Quality Non-fiction. Oh well.

The Raffles Tree is disgusting. An example of horrific modern art. For those fortunate enough not to have seen this grotesque artifact - check out a 3D view!

Well Carmee Lim was very into IT and a good principal by all accounts. But a bad singer, so.

Wasn't "The Man Who Lost His Language"'s story of the person who could could talk about what she heard and write about what he read, but could not write about what he heard or talk about what he read about the husband of the author? The one who got the condition a while after finishing his masterpiece. Well at least he sang his swansong.

I love the Economist's book reviews! They're just so witty and acerbic. Most of em anyway - some articles in the mag in general have whole paragraphs that read like a amalgam of loosely connected statements (kinda like my bookout posts, but worse).

This one in particular is memorable (took me a while to find - their search engine isn't very good). It's on a book called "The World We're In" by Will Hutton.

"Had Mr Hutton devoted himself to extolling Europe's virtues, and explaining how its current flaws could be cured, he might have produced an interesting book. There is plenty that is good about Europe. Indeed, one of the healthiest trends in British politics recently has been a new willingness in all the big parties to look across both the English Channel and the Atlantic for lessons on how public policy might be improved. But Mr Hutton says little about this, preferring to dwell first upon how �values� differ markedly between Europe and America, and then on a multi-chapter diatribe against the United States. He cannot, it seems, build his love for Europe on its positive characteristics, but must rely instead on what he sees as America's vices.

The proper title for this book might, as a consequence, have been �The World I'm In�."

HAHA.

Lots of people ramble. It's natural. My post from the e-learning centre was not primarily a response to comments on my posts being long (which have been made by many people). It was largely an attempt to reallocate typing time from home to camp, and so achieve a more economically efficient outcome! And about bending to public opinion: I'm not really one to heed society - I'm sure all of us can attest to that :) I started out not caring about people reading this thing, but hey, there is a certain narcissistic joy in knowing your output is being read!

Maybe SJI's bad statues is why it's now the home of the Singapore Art Museum. Yeh.

I don't see why Asians can't have American/other Western accents. Hey, 2 of my cousins were born and bred in Australia - why shouldn't they have Australian accents? They're as Australian as the "natural" Aussies. And do you feel similar revulsion towards Caucasians or Caucasian looking people who adopt Singaporean accents? The principal of RJ is rather in this category. And when people ask him where he's from, he says "Bishan".

Crunches are useless. They can be done repeatedly without much strain or exertion. Which is why they don't do them during Remedial Training.

I've stopped buying books for now as I can't read them all. Or even most.

And I believe it's "somnambulate".
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes