"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Monday, July 22, 2002

I was having lunch with my father in M Hotel in Shenton Way today when I heard the strains of "Variations on Ah! Vous dirai-je, Maman" - for the uninitiated, varations on Twinkle Twinkle Little Star by Mozart (K. 265). Prompted by that, I did some digging and found out that the lyrics were written in 1806, but it was originally a French Folksong about a child wanting candy. Details available at some NIEHS page.

For the past 6 years, I have been wearing whitish track shoes to school. Because I am lazy (mostly), I never bothered to acquire a pair of casual shoes to wear outside school, but just reused the school pairs. However, my current 2 pairs of 2 year old Puma shoes, bought when last I tread on Australian soil, are very battered and look like they are going to give up the ghost soon. And I am not inclined to use the New Balance shoes given to me by the slavemasters, kind though they are and nice though the shoes might be, as I don't relish the thought of wearing something emblazoned with the words - "Property of the SAF". Besides which, I'd have to lug them to and from camp. So today I bought my first (probably ever) pair of casuals, a pair of Weinbrenners. Apparently they were originally priced at $59.99, but I got them for $29.95 today. On the shoebox is written:

"Men's Casual
Crazy horse leather
Upper brown colour"

Crazy horse leather???

I happened to consider today, how although I did various subversive things in JC, I never did the "usual" bad boy stuff, like taking plenty of blue slips, or skipping lectures. In 2 years I took, I think, 2 blue slips, both legitimate - one for a dental appointment and one because I was really feeling sick (and for which I wrote down a whole list of ailments under the "reason for taking blue slip" row, including stomach cramps). As for skipping lessons, I believe I never did skip any, but perhaps this was because I wanted to take down quotes! My sister, on the other hand, skipped lectures extensively during her time in RJ to go shopping in Orchard Road. Ah well.

I do believe I've been blacklisted by Google due to my use of search engine linking service, as search referrals from there have levelled off in recent weeks - 20 in 5 weeks - and now the only way to find my page is to search for "Gabriel", "Gabriel's", "gssq" and the like. Goodbye Linkstoyou! It's been nice knowing you.

My father, hitherto sceptical of anti-virus and firewall programs, was pondering taking advantage of a DBS offer yesterday to purchase the above mentioned software from McAfee for $12. Probably the deluge of media articles on the above have finally convinced him. Anyhow my brother in law got the CD yesterday at Funan, and it turns out it is a "one year trial" of McAfee VirusScan v6.0 which doesn't include a firewall. Bah. Suppose I'll have t go for ZoneAlarm!

My sister, lusting after my 2 packets of Kettle Chips, actually had the temerity to devour them while I was in camp. One was a packet of Sea Salt and Basalmic Vinegar, one of 2 packets which Andrew Gan'd gotten for me. The other was a packet her friend'd bought - given to me in return for her devouring half to three quarters of the *other* packet that Andrew'd bought, without so much as a "by your leave". In her defence, she claimed, by SMS from Germany, that I "didn't want" the chips and was keeping them like "relics", but finally she conceded - "Yeah so next time eat faster. End of story" Ptooey to that.

I was sad enough to take Tim's advice, and attempt to complete a troublesome ringtone by installing Noteworthy Composer, importing the MIDI and examining the notes. In the end, after stripping away the supporting parts, I was left with some chords, produced by 3 voices - there was no melody line, so I've given up on the Menuetto e trio:Allegro molto of the Surprise Symphony.

The J-culture craziness has sucked many people into the abyss, and left others devastated by the effect it has had on society in general. I do sympathise with the latest casualty that I have discovered. I fear to do more, lest I get nipped :)

While I am stewing in Singapore, Andrew Gan, at this moment, is either stewing in his computer lab or frolicking on endless plains of lush grass with all his OCF friends at OCF camp. Ah, the joys of going to Australia and getting to know new people, most or many of them through OCF, which means they are mostly Singaporean or Malaysian and of Chinese descent. Err.

M1 has just spammed me for the second time. Needless to say, I am not pleased.


"Less is more". This is the bikini principle advocated by my sister for matters such as taking bits of cookie dough to mould into cookies. I've had complaints that my posts are too damn long and, though I cannot even begin to compare my posts with someone's monster dictionary, I do agree. What can I say? I am verbose sometimes. But mainly I take notice of the trivial overly much, and feel the compulsive urge to note down and eventually publish here everything of minuscule importance. The worse that could happen is that no one'd read this blog, except maybe the people looking for "Singapore JC girls in uniforms", "zaogeng", "Rikku in her underwear pics", "rgs bitches" and "only 5 6 7 years old lolitas showing leg wide open nude free pix" (my site appears fourth on the search engine results for that).

Though if I could write as well as the Hentai reviewer that we featured yesterday, I'm sure many people'd not mind. But then again maybe it's the subject matter that makes the writing so lively. It's just like, according to Tolkien, the most common complaint regarding "Lord of the Rings" is that it is "too short".


Words that perhaps every blogger could relate to:

"I have claimed that this is not an online journal and then proceeded to write entries that make it the worst kind of journal - meandering, vague, hinting at details which are too personal to share (and as Paul Tan the writer guy said, 'If it the writing is too personal to tell everyone about, then you shouldn't be publishing it'). Most online journals are of no conceivable use to anyone but the author and then only as a dubious means of recording events.

Truly what I need from this little exercise is not to broadcast revelations or truth to the rest of the world (although that would certainly secure my reputation). It is katharsis I seek. That is, to scream my lungs out, grind my teeth down to their roots, and divest myself of the hair on my head - preferably in front of someone who is listening and cares and who will eventually feed me warm water, cut my fingernails, wrap my gibbering husk in a blanket and then sing me to sleep."

Truly. (NB: Stolen from some frying pan)
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes