"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Wednesday, November 13, 2002

Gak. My name has been used in vain!

Screwed Up Girl has just topped herself.

"A Night To Remember

Amidst a bed of flowers, Yechao drew Geraldine into his arms and declared, "Geraldine, you look exquisite."

She blushed at the intense gaze that swept over her. "Oh, Yechao."

He drew her nearer, his eyes closing slowly. "Geraldine, how many times do I have to repeat myself?"

She was jerked back to reality at the last remark, the traces of her daydream disappearing as she looked up to see Helen Tan glaring at her, a vein threatening to pop out of her forehead. Geraldine could almost see the lightning
bolts flashsing behind her teacher's back as her voice thundered over the room. "Your mind is obviously somewhere else, Geraldine, and I will not tolerate such behavior in my class!"

But before she could open her mouth to apologize, the bell rang. Helen Tan shook a finger in the air. "We're not done yet, young lady." But the warning was drowned by the rush of students that filed out of the classroom. Geraldine heaved a sigh of relief. From the corner of her eye, she noticed the object of her affection walking away.

Her best friend Gabriel joined her. "Don't tell me you were daydreaming about your Prince Charming again," her friend teased.

Geraldine flashed a guilty smile. Ever since she met Yechao at the start of the year, he was all she could think about. At first, she was drawn by his attractive features -- his sparkling black eyes, his striking black hair. She felt so warm inside when he first smiled at her, and she could swear that the world was brightened by the twinkle in his eyes. But when they were recently paired as Chemistry lab partners, she fell even more in love with his gentle, thoughtful side. Once when she was sick, Yechao visited her house and brought her their homework. Another time when she accidentally broke her beaker, he slid it over
to his side, just in time to catch the ire of their lab teacher about damaging school property. When Geraldine tried to speak up, he discreetly placed a hand on her arm and stopped her. His mere touch was enough to silence her.

But even though Gabriel knew that she was in love, Geraldine didn't dare tell her friend with whom. She was a bit reluctant that her friend would tease her to death, or worse, do something like deliver him to her bound and gagged.

"So, has this mystery guy asked you to the prom yet?" Gabriel asked.

Geraldine shook her head. "No, and I don't think that he's taking anyone else."

Gabriel scowled. "What is he, gay?" At the murderous look that Geraldine gave her, she backed off. "Okay, okay. But what are you going to do? The prom's tomorrow night! You can't wait for him to take action, you have to invite him yourself!"

Geraldine paled at the thought. "I couldn't do that! He might think I was too forward. Besides, you're one to talk. I don't hear you telling me that you have a date for tomorrow."

Her friend placed a hand over her mouth and laughed. Gabriel had a very disturbing laugh, the sound echoing through the halls. "Ohohohohoho!" Then she winked. "You've been so secretive lately that I decided to teach you a lesson. So my date is for me to know and for you to find out."

By this time, they had reached the cafeteria. Gabriel, who always brought lunch from home, went to look for a table while Geraldine got in line to buy her food. As she
debated on getting what appeared to be baked macaroni, she felt someone standing close to her. Too close. Geraldine turned to discover Yechao there, holding a lunch tray in his hands.

"Hi," he greeted her with a smile. Geraldine could feel the blush coloring her cheeks as she returned the greeting.

Complete silence. As the line moved on, they both got the macaroni and a drink. But Geraldinewas nervous. Inwardly, she cursed herself for being so flustered when he was around. Then she remembered what Gabriel told her, that unless she took matters into her own hands, she might end up alone on prom night. "Uh, Yechao," she began. Then stopped and took a deep breath. "Uhm, are you going? Uh, tomorrow night? To the prom, I mean?"

He nodded, a slight blush on his face.

They were near the counter now. This was it. She had to find out. "Uhm, so who are you taking?"

Yechao opened his mouth to reply, but the entire basketball team chose that exact moment to cut through the line on their way to the gym. Geraldine sweatdropped. A moment later, she gasped when she saw Yechao lying on the ground, his macaroni on the ground, his eyes swirling around in confusion. He looked well, semi-deformed.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

He was up in a second. "Yes, I'm fine. But I think I'd better go and have this mess cleaned up." He refused to look her in the eyes. "I guess I'll catch you later." Then without another word or a backward glance, he walked away. It was only when he was gone from sight did Geraldine realize that he didn't answer her question.

The rest of her day was uneventful. In Chemistry class, they had an exam so there was no way that she could continue their conversation. But it was after school when
she had the shock of her life. She was fixing her blouse in one of the bathroom stalls when a pair of girls walked in and started talking. "That new guy Yechao is so hot," one of them said.

Geraldine perked up at the remark, feeling her fox ears popping out of her head as she strained to hear what they were saying.

"I know," the other girl agreed. "It's a shame he's taking someone to the prom."

"Really?" the first girl asked, and Geraldine nearly spoke the same word at loud.

"Who?"

"Didn't you hear? He's taking Gabriel!"

Geraldine's life was over as she felt an anvil drop on her.

***

Of course she was still alive, but Geraldine really felt like dying. Yechao and Gabriel? It wasn't fair! As she tossed and turned in her sleep, she couldn't help but glance at the dress she was supposed to wear for tomorrow. It was in her favorite shade of blue and Gabriel had even helped her pick it out. They had planned on going together in case they didn't find dates, but Geraldine was sure that hanging out with her friends was a fun way to spend the night. But now, how can she go? How can she even face them?

Needless to say, her sleepless state didn't go unnoticed. Gabriel shot her a worried glance when they met during homeroom. "Are you okay? You don't seem to be
too excited about tonight."

Geraldine managed a small smile. Technically, she wasn't allowed to feel jealous -- after all, Gabriel never knew that she was deeply in love with Yechao. There was no reason to worry her friend. "Just a little under the weather. It's
nothing," she assured her.

From across the room, she felt someone eyes on them. Geraldine raised her head to see Yechao looking at her with a concerned expression. Maybe he saw Gabriel looking worried so he was curious. In any case, Geraldine didn't think that she could stand looking at his beautiful black eyes a moment longer. She tore her gaze away. "Listen, about tonight..."

But her friend was already chatting away. "I'm still going to go over to your place to dress up, remember? I'll have my mom drop off my dress later. We're going to have so
much fun, I promise! I've already taken care of our ride and all, so you don't have to worry about anything."

"What about your date?" Geraldine asked bluntly. She wanted to ask her about Yechao, but she couldn't just find the words. She wanted Gabriel to be the one to volunteer the information.

Gabriel casually waved her question away. "Don't you worry about that, I've already fixed my plans. Hey, I'm bringing a whole bunch of nail polish for you to try on. I think I have just the right color to match your dress. And Mom lent me her pearl necklace to wear--"

Geraldine tuned her friend out, not caring anymore. It was nice to see Gabriel excited but in truth, it hurt her that she was the one that Yechao liked. And yet she couldn't stay away. If she did, her friend might suspect something. And
more importantly, Geraldine realized that she couldn't walk away from him. If he only saw her as a friend then that was enough for her.

***

"You look beautiful!" Gabriel exclaimed as Geraldine twirled around in her gown. Even if she felt depressed, putting the dress on lifted her spirits a little bit. She stared at her reflection in the mirror. Was that really her? The smooth satin clung to whatever curves she had before pooling into soft folds at her feet. It was designed to look like a dress from ancient Greece, the one goddesses were often
depicted as wearing. One shoulder held a curtain of chiffon while the other was left bare, emphasizing her glowing skin. What would Yechao say if he saw her in this?

But Geraldine had no time to worry as Gabriel began applying makeup on her. "Thanks for the compliment, but don't fuss over me, please. I can do this by myself. Besides," here she swallowed the lump in her throat, "your date might be here any moment now and you haven't even fixed your hair."

Then the doorbell rang. Gabriel let out a short shriek. "He's here! Geraldine, would you mind letting him in while I fix myself up. You're already good to go. I promise I won't take long." Before Geraldine could protest, Gabriel had already pushed her out of her own room.

Geraldine felt her chest tighten. He was going to see her now, of all times, but she didn't think her heart could stand the pain. Still, she squared her shoulders and went down to open the door.

Yechao stood at her doorstep, looking so breathtakingly handsome in a black tux. He gave her a shy smile. "I've come to pick up my date."

"Gabriel's still upstairs, you'll have to wait--" Geraldine made a move to get her friend but she stopped when Yechao suddenly grabbed her wrist and held on to it firmly. With his free hand he handed her a corsage of one pure white orchid.

Geraldine looked confused. Her heart was pounding so loudly she was afraid he could hear. "What's going on?"

"I'm taking you to the prom, Geraldine," he replied.

"But I thought you and Gabriel--"

He shook his head. "She was just kind enough to help me set up this date. I didn't have the guts to ask you to your face because I was afraid you would reject me. Which is funny, because before you, I was never afraid of rejection at all. But Gabriel kept assuring me that it would work out in the end, but I guess I didn't believe her. I hope you're not mad that we went through this."

She could only stare at him in surprise at each word. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. "Of course I'm not mad."

Yechao took a step closer. "I really like you, Geraldine, and I think you like me too?" He turned the statement into a question, standing there like a shy little boy.

Geraldine closed the distance between them. "Yes, I guess I do," she murmured.

He took her into his arms. "Have I ever told you that you look exquisite?"

She smiled. Yes, she wanted to tell him. But this time, it was no longer a dream."


Excuse me, I think I'm going to go outside and puke.

*retches*


At least there's a chiton in this.

I want to puke again

*vomits out remains of lunch*
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes