"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Thursday, March 06, 2008

"It pays to be obvious, especially if you have a reputation for subtlety." - Isaac Asimov

***

Singapore Dissident: One year has passed. A word of thanks

"There are thousands of other bloggers who share my views about Singapore. Like me, they are disgusted at this dictatorial regime of Lee Kuan Yew in Singapore. They consider him, like me, no better than a thief who steals $3.7 million each year for each person. They are angry at the lack of human rights. At the persecution of political dissenters. So like me, they write, but with one difference. Out of fear, they prefer to remain in disguise. They use names such as Robin Hood or Botakbotak for their blogs. It is sad to see this. I am sure deep in their hearts, they deeply wish if only they could identify themselves. But alas, they are in a grip of fear. Since I am not a doctor or psychiatrist, I cannot say this with certainty, but personally I think this all consuming pent up fear is not only bad for them mentally but also physically...

Simply because I write from California does not mean I am entirely safe. As you know the Russian recently who had criticized Yeltzin from London had been murdered in London by poisoning. In 1979, while I was in London, the Bulgarian correspondent at the BBC English language section was murdered while crossing London Bridge by someone who stuck an umbrella into him, tipped with poison. Well Lee Kuan Yew may one day decide enough is enough and finish me off in California. Furthermore, I come to Singapore almost twice a year travelling on an American passport. They could stop me in Changi, arrest me and do whatever they want. These are dangers that I face by criticizing Lee Kuan Yew. But none of this scares me. There is a saying in Gurkhali which goes like this "A brave man dies only once. A coward dies many times over".

I believe my blog is doing a tremendous amount of good. For one thing, the educated who have been reading my blog has resulted in increased rates of emigration among them, particularly to Australia. They can see that Singapore is nothing more than a tiny island with a dictator and his son strutting around as if they own the place. This is not the first world country they want to live in, so they leave. My blog helps them in their decision to leave. My blog has been instrumental for the increase in brain drain. This is hurting the Lee Regime. There is not enough people to run the place...

Lee Kuan Yew has not sued me. He cannot because he knows he will lose. The truth is on my side, not his... [you] may be killed by a Singapore hit man but as far as I know, Francis Seow is still alive and kicking. So is Tang Liang Hong...

Such blogging causes massive emigration from Singapore, warns foreigners about the true political state of Singapore thus preventing good immigrants making Singapore their home, adversely affects Singapore's international trade by revealing the lack of rule of law in Singapore, makes Singaporeans willing to publicly protest and demonstrate against this regime, discourages many European companies from investing in Singapore because of the lack of human rights. Blogs such as this reveals to foreigners in Singapore the truth about Singapore which they take back with them to their countries where the reputation of Singapore is ruined at their places.

Blogging is hurting the Lee Administration. Please join me in hurting them further. Become a blogger. A public one at that."


Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

(He does have one good point though - more than 2 years after we'd taken Mr Toilet Break into custody, we still hadn't charged him for anything and were holding him under the ISA. This would make him an alleged terrorist rather than a terrorist per se)

In the comments:

"I am a second-year student in NTU doing Sociology & hoping to minor in Public Administration... Secondly, if its not too much to ask, I need some help for a term paper. For my PA (Public Admin) module, I am required to submit a paper evaluating a certain policy in Singapore and give recommendations to improve it etc etc. The problem is, I feel that there's too many 'flawed' policies in Singapore ranging from CPF (and the new annuity policy), our healthcare policies, our education policies... that I'm at a loss. I think it'd be great if you could just give me your ideas on which policy, or which area of Singapore society I should focus on in order for me to narrow down my choices. If you were in my position, (I mean, I can't change any of the policies, sadly this is merely a term paper) what would you have chosen?"
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes