"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

France/Spain 2011 - Day 3, Part 3 - Strasbourg: On top and around the Cathedral

"I have not always in my dealings with General de Gaulle found quotations from Trafalgar and Waterloo necessarily productive, and he has been very tactful about the Battle of Hastings." - Harold Wilson

***

France/Spain 2011
Day 3 - 19th March - Strasbourg: On top and around the Cathedral
(Part 3)

Returning to the city centre of Strasbourg (on the Grand Île), I witnessed a protest.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Anti-police protest before the Cathedral

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
While the anti-police protesters filed out, what seemed to be a busker was displaying his music CD wares. However, he was not busking, but only seemed interested in hugging and kissing a girl. I asked him why there was no music, and he said there was an important demonstration. I thought he was joking, with the small demonstration consisting of demonstraters like so:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Colourful (and cold) protesters

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


Mini Protest departing
As the protesters departed, I thought the busker would start busking.

While waiting, I admired the front portal of the cathedral.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Front portal

Then, I noticed a commotion.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Police car in the vanguard of a REAL demonstration. This was the demonstration the busker was referring to, I think.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Police car trying to run over kids who are, with the cyclist, trying to encircle it

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Police clearing the way for protestors. It's great to live in a country where the police don't just not crack down on but facilitate protests

It's great: every year I come to France I witness a protest of some sort.


Education Protest 1: "L'Education est notre avenir" ("Education is our future")

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Protesting in Prams: inculcating the young with national values from a young age

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Demonstration of students, teachers & parents against budget cuts"

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"The hours of IDD - 'Itineraires de Découverte' [Itineraries of Discovery] used for assuring other learning. So no IDD for the students"

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
The tourist office is in the background. They should promote demonstrations as a tourist attraction, especially to tourists who come from repressive states which don't allow protests


Education Protest 2

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

One woman asked me if I was a PRC, then if I was a journalist (maybe she thought my fascination arose from my coming from a repressive state which didn't allow protests). What self-respecting journalist would use a piece of A4 paper to write notes?!

I should've responded to "Vous êtes journaliste ?" with "Je suis blogueur"

She then wished me "Bonne visite en France" ("Have a good trip in France") and I wished her "Bonne démonstration" ("Have a good demonstration").

She also gave me a balloon. Aww!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Protest Balloon: "FCPE - Fédération des Conseils de Parents d'Elèves" ("Parents' Advisory Federation")

I was wondering how to embark on my favourite form of exercise (climbing the cathedral tower) with a balloon, then it burst in my hand, solving my problem.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Horse's ass

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Flying buttresses

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Overlooking the square

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Strasbourg from partway up the tower

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Cathedral from above

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
History of Strasbourg cathedral

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
How to kill time on duty at ~66m (he's watching a soap on his smartphone)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Strasbourg from above

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Spire. It was the world's tallest building from 1647 to 1874.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Spire from below

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Latin carving on lintel above entrance to spire

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
More views from above

Descending the tower I had a look at the Maison Kammerzell

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Maison Kammerzell
According to the SNCF audioguide this is an example of Renaissance architecture and marries religious and secular themes.

Wandering around the outside of the cathedral, I ran into a group of girls trying to sell sweets to passers-by. Questioning about whether this was an advertising campaign revealed that this was a French tradition: one of the girls was getting married in 3 weeks so it was tradition to sell sweets and such. In one basket I saw a foil packet I suspected was a préservatif. I didn't hear the magic word, though.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Bride-to-be and hens

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
What I got: traditional Alsatian sweets and scrunchie. I had been feeling a sore throat coming on since morning though, so I held off on consuming them.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes