"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Monday, August 09, 2004

Quote of the Post: "Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done. And I am Caesar." - Misattributed to Julius Caesar

Random Playlist Song: The Chinese University of Hong Kong Student Chorus - Siyahamba

***

Fanmail I got:

"I must admit that I myself knew very little about NS before my Enlistment Day, too little, on hindsight, so much so that I was even pro-NS until soon after (probably before I finished my BMT) I enlisted."

Heh heh. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

***

Randall Wong

With his exceptional vocal range and virtuosity, Randall Wong leads audiences on a journey of discovery; he is a true male soprano. His pure, agile voice and remarkable technique have made him a pioneer in the revival and performance of early music. He has inspired living composers to create unique operatic roles for him. Among his credits are engagements with the Boston Early Music Festival, San Francisco Symphony, West German Radio, Houston Grand Opera, San Francisco Opera, New York City Opera, and the Dresden Semperoper. In recital, he captivates audiences, recreating the performance style of lesser-known works of the baroque and early classical periods and introducing unfamiliar new repertory.

- As introduced by InfernoXV

***

mini:

"I suddenly developed a huge appetite for American satire. Was watching Jay Leno and Comedy Night and Saturday Night Live till 1am yesterday on CNN, laughing my ass away. That's what you call freedom of speech.

Singapore should stop lamenting about how its people have the lack of interest in politics, and start doing something about it. I mean, just look at what happened after the Catherine Lim incident and LKY's comment on that, from Lee Kuan Yew: The Man and His Ideas:

"Supposing Catherine Lim was writing about me and not the prime minister . .. She would not dare, right? Because my posture, my response has been such that nobody doubts that if you take me on, I will put on knuckle-dusters and catch you in a cul de sac . . . Anybody who decides to take me on needs to put on knuckle dusters. If you think you can hurt me more than I can hurt you, try. There is no other way you can govern a Chinese society."

That explains why I'm so much more interested in American politics than what is happening at home. Singapore is so unhappening, with newpapers that pride themselves as government mouthpieces and a government party with a lightning bolt as its logo (striking down any opposition at lightning speed). It is controversy and dispute that breeds interest, and I'm sad to say there is no hint of any of those elements in Singapore politics. All the talk of political openness in Singapore is really much ado about nothing, and there is this facade of democracy taking place in Singapore when in reality nothing has changed.

I'm sorry, but I'd rather stick to CNN and follow the America elections, than to quietly wait till August 12 for that peaceful, undisputed, dynastic leadership succession when DPM Lee takes over as Prime Minister. There's quite a similarity between DPM Lee and Bush, with the inane look and sardonic smile. What's the world coming to?

I just watched Fahrenheit 9/11 and it was quite a shocking punch in the face of the Bush administration. It's so controversial you can't help but want to find out more, be it fact or fiction.

But that's what makes politics interesting, no?"

And people wonder why our college students are apathetic.

***

Q: When does the boy scout first become a man?
A: When he's had his first brownie.

(Courtesy of infinitesimility)

***

Panasonic camera ad. And a Banasonic chicken ad.

Mouse created without father - "Scientists turn egg cell into surrogate sperm."

The virtue of idleness - "Kubla Khan came to Coleridge in a dream, as did the tune for Yesterday to Paul McCartney. The idea for Frankenstein revealed itself to the young Mary Shelley in a waking dream; Einstein said that a breakthrough in his theory of relativity had come to him in a dream; Descartes had a dream that set him on the path towards his whole philosophical system (he said it was "the most important affair" of his life). JK Rowling was staring out of the window on a train when the idea, plot and characters for Harry Potter came to her. The art of living is the art of bringing dreams and reality together. I have a dream. It is called love, anarchy, freedom. It is called being idle "

List of company name etymologies - "Canon - from Kannon, the Japanese name of the Buddhist bodhisattva of mercy. The name was changed to Canon to avoid offending religious groups."
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes