"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Is Homophobia The Same As Racism-Sexism?

"No man ever listened himself out of a job." - Calvin Coolidge

***

Is Homophobia The Same As Racism-Sexism By George Yancey

"In the world of academia there is a big push to see all discrimination problems as exactly the same. Intellectually that does not make sense...

There is a church in Chicago that is 40% white, 30% black, and 30% Hispanic... One day a group of protesters appeared, because they were going to have a speaker who was going to talk about homosexuality as being sinful. The protesters chanted, “Racist, Sexist, Anti-Gay, Born-again Bigots go away.” I wonder how many of those protesters have organizations that are 40% white, 30% black and 30% Hispanic...

How many of you know that if you are walking down the street and a car is driving past you at 30 miles per hour, as the people in the car lock their door you can hear the doors locking? I know that because I hear it all the time...

I do not think that white women really understand this. I love my wife, Sherelyn. We have been together almost six years. I have heard from her some of her issues of gender. None of them make me think that any of her issues include people fearing her. People fear me. They fear me without even knowing me. That is something I have to overcome. Just because you understand sexism does not mean that you understand racism. Women and people of color have different issues...

Now I can choose to hide things from you that might devalue your opinion of me. I am a fan of the San Diego Chargers. I don’t have to share that with you. I can simply watch them lose again and no one has to know that I support a team that went 1-15 last year! This is much different from being devalued because you are black. If I do not want to be teased for being a fan of the worst football team in America I can hide that fact. But there is no hiding my heritage—it is in my skin...

People do stereotype gays and lesbians, but they have the freedom to hide that fact...

On the average, homosexual persons make more money than heterosexuals do. Most, if not all, of the studies on this topic confirm that fact.

When the first movement toward gay rights developed, one issue talked about was whether there should be affirmative action for gays and lesbians. The homosexual lobby has pulled back from this issue because how can you argue for affirmative action when your group is making more money than the average?...

Race and gender are innate, while homosexuality has some degree of volition involved...

I see homosexual acts as sins just as anger is sin. Some people will never lose their temper. Others often blow up in anger. They likely have a stronger genetic predisposition to anger than others do. Does this relieve them of the responsibility of controlling their temper? No, but we cannot expect them to act like those without this predisposition...

One of the problems I have with the argument that homosexuality is determined by genetics is this: I know that as a sociologist sexual attraction is to some degree shaped by society...

Is it a big a leap to think that if we are influenced by social norms as to who heterosexuals find physically attractive, we are also led to believe that some people of the same sex are also attractive. It amazes me that some of the same sociologists who rightly point out how society influences our desires for the opposite sex, also argue that biology completely determines whether we are attracted to the same sex...

I have yet to hear a good genetic determinist argument explaining how people can be bisexual...

Unfortunately much of the scientific work in “gay studies” is not open to divergent views. Arguments like mine do not often get published"
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes