"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Hokkaido Trip
Day 3 (14/12) - Lake Toya, Snowmobile, Rusutsu Snow Resort
(Part 1)

I woke early to take a walk by the side of Lake Toya.






Shore

It has a hot spring underneath it, so it is free from ice 365 days a year. I asked the tour guide what temperature the water was, and he didn't know, so I stuck my hand in, and it was pretty chilly.







The hotel had onsens overlooking the lake, with ceiling-high glass panels as walls. I was wondering how they hid bathers from prying eyes, so while walking along the lakeside I observed the architecture - the onsen area was slightly elevated compared to the path. However, at one point I found myself looking at a middle-aged Japanese lady on the other side of the glass, whereupon I turned my attention to more scenic sights:


Shore, with hotel




Shore

Dinner the night before had been visually impressive, but culinarily mediocore.
Breakfast was a bit better, because it's harder to screw up breakfast food (eggs, porridge, sausages etc). However the piano roll looped one song endlessly, which was very annoying.

Outside the breakfast hall they were also trying to sell us, for 840Y, photos of us taken when we had entered the hotel. Wth.

We left and went to a "Snow World", where we were offered snowmobile rides: just under an hour for 10,000Y (single) or 15,000Y (double). I elected to go alone for a fuss-free experience.


In garb: helmet, gloves and boots


On snowmobile

We all went in a file, with staff leading, following and interspersed among our number. Unfortunately we had to follow a course (they didn't even let us frolic in the big field at the start) and couldn't overtake, but luckily they let the singles go first, so I wasn't hampered too much; what I did was wait for a distance to open up between me and the first snowmobile (a staff member), and race in short spurts. However I ran into a ditch once above which a lot of snow had settled (covering the ditch), and my snowmobile sank into the snow and had to be pulled out by 3 staff members.


About turn





It was fortunate that wind was minimal, so wind chill wasn't a factor.




To my calves and knees in snow (both probably for the first time). This was before I jumped into a snowbank, with a satisfying crunch.






I finally realize I should use the "snow" mode on my camera.



It was a pity we only had one stop along the way (when we U-turned), since we passed by the prettiest snow scapes I'd ever seen. It helped that we had had good snow (though it was still falling, albeit slowly), unlike on Edo Wonderland day.






Playing

On the way back the wind was against me, so I had a choice of riding blind (with the vizor down and fogging up) or my face freezing and my extremities getting frostbite, so I alternated between the two.


The rest riding in


Among snowmobiles




Sign in toilet telling you how to shit



We then went on to Rusutsu Snow Resort.


Musical Fountain featuring "Hooked on Tchikowski" and "The Blue Panupe Walts"


View from room window


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes