"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Now I know why there's a Finnish premium (HWMNBN's neologism) for Nokias.

My father wanted to set his Samsung SGH-X700 so when my mother calls, her picture will appear onscreen, but for some reason her number was not showing up for selection after choosing the picture, so he sought my assistance.

After some quick poking, I determined that only phonebook entries stored in the phone (as opposed to the SIM card), could be set as "caller id" (as they call it) pictures. I then copied my mother's contact from the SIM card to the phone; in the process I was presented with a screen with several text fields, which slowed down this task (this is a debatable UI decision, depending on whether users prefer just to copy contacts or to fill out the contact detail fields at the same time).

Unfortunately, there was no option to Move the contact, just to Copy. I was thus left with a duplicate contact on the SIM card, which I had to proceed to delete.

My father then asked me to copy all his contacts from the SIM card to the phone. Once again, there was no option to Move all, so I was left with 2 copies of each contact. Luckily they did include a "Delete all" option, so I could remove all the duplicates at once.

You'd think they'd at least invest money in finding out what their competitors had done - copying technology is, after all, cheaper than reinventing the wheel.


Migration from my old phone to my new one was imperfect. My whole gallery and maybe 60% of my SMSes got copied over, but my reminders seem to have been wiped. My contacts were in the SIM card, so that was one less thing to go wrong.

This is why there's still room for PDAs, even with today's phones.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes