"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Jesus as an abusive partner

A meme quote I saw a lot of people get upset about:

"The relationship with Jesus sold to people mirrors that of a relationship wi1h an abusive partner. The same mental tricks are used. You're nothing without me, you aren't worthy of my love, you need me to be whole, I can save you, only I know what you need, you must submit to me, If you leave me there will be hell to pay. It's a scam, and an obvious one to a thinking mind."

Responses included:

"I don't think "Jesus" said this"
"what nonsense"
"Except Jesus didn’t say any of that."
"A deliberate misread."

So I decided to provide biblical quotes for the claims, since virtually all of then were sourced from Jesus's own quotes in the Bible. It was weird (though unsurprising) how poor knowledge these people had of their own religion:

You're nothing without me: "Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. " John 15:4-6

You aren't worthy of my love: "Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me” (Matthew 10:37–38)
(there're other verses saying humans aren't worthy [regardless of their priorities] - even if Jesus didn't explicitly say them, the whole bible is used by Christians and Christians always quote the OT and the non-Gospel parts of the NT, so they're definitely all part of the "relationship")

You need me to be whole: “Do you want to get well?” (John 5:6) (apparently the Greek word hugios here vs sozo means it's not just physical health he's talking about here and this is meant to apply to non-cripples too)

I can save you: "When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, "Who then can be saved?" Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." (Matthew 19: 25-26)

Only I know what you need - This might be in the Bible somewhere but regardless it is commonly promoted by Christians (example)

You must submit to me: “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple" (Luke 14:25-27)

Of course, this didn't convince those who wanted OP to be false.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes