"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Privilege means never having to say you're right

It is sometimes incredulously protested that it is preposterous to say that people who point out racism are racist.

Yet, just because I purport to point out racism does not mean that I am right or even that I can't be racist.

For example, if I am a black man who hears a Chinese man calling me a nigger, and then go up to him and beat him to a pulp, crying "fucking Chink!", I am assuredly racist (unless you subscribe to the newspeak definition of racism being power + prejudice).



Kai Chan: on one hand, you want a conversation about racism where your "chinese singaporeans" aren‘t dismissive or looking to “silence and derail," on the other, you want them to "shut up." so which is it’?

Adeline Koh: ^^^ A close look at the comment above is a clear attempt at derailment. My timeline is not "public space" so any trollish comments will be deleted and the account blocked. Cc Arya Sita Ramana

Kai Chan: merely seeking clarification. but i suppose labeling anything you dont deem to be a gushing endorsement of your doctrine as "trolling" is far easier than actually answering the question

Adeline Koh: Kai Chan, if you were genuinely interested in a discussion and not trying to make this about your hurt Singaporean Chinese boy feelings, the question would have been framed in a different way. Consider yourself hereby blocked and the answer you seek has already been responded to her:
Dear Chinese Singaporeans: It's. Not. About. You ... - Medium

Kai Chan: it's so cute how you level accusations of trolling in one post and resort to personal attacks in the very next one. regardless. i've soldiered through the minefields of grammatical atrocities that are your articles, and couldn't find my answer anyywhere. to reiterate, do you want a conversation. or is it a one-sided grievance-airing party that you're going for?
Unable to post comment. Try Again


It is clear that the definition of "trolling" and "derailment" is "disagreeing with me".


I have a dream that I will one day live in a public space where what I say will not be judged by the color of my skin, my gender, my sexual orientation, my sexual identity, my class, my physical ability, my education, my gender identity or my religious affiliation, but by the content of my words.

I have a dream today.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes