"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Tuesday, March 05, 2013

BKK 2012 - Day 1, Part 3 - Chinatown

BKK 2012
Day 1, Part 3 - 7th September - Chinatown


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
White Pink Elephants

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
I thought it was a fashion faux pas to wear the same thing as another woman

I stopped for a snack:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Mystery Meat

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
I had one from the left and one from the right (B10). The one on the right was pork and on the left was pork or chicken wrapped with a huge amount of fat.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
12B mystery drink. I thought it was chin chow (grass jelly) as it was very black but it was probably black coffee or liang teh (it was hard to tell, and it was very sweet)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Mango salad I knocked from 30B to 25B. The mango seemed too ripe - I could taste the mango

I wanted to visit the temple complex south of the palace but it was drizzling, I was tired and the light was fading (Bangkok is an hour behind Singapore despite the longitude being similar).

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Stupa from boat (ferry down the river)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Pagoda from boat

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"All you need is love". And lots of money, naturally.

Dinner was at a Teochew restaurant in Chinatown (Tang Jai Yuu), but I had to get there first. I hailed a taxi marked "taxi meter" but the guy refused to use the meter, claiming there was traffic. I was tempted to walk 1.7km but I didn't have data for my GPS and the map from the hotel was not detailed enough. A tout outside quoted me 300B but even 200B was exorbitant. In any event I had a headache so I just let myself be swindled; the taxi ride was less than 10 minutes in the end. Later it was pointed out to me that I should've had the hotel flag the taxi for me.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Clean Food Good Taste"
With a Bodhisattva, too.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Coconuts and mystery green drink.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Cheap Shark's Fin!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Fried Tasteful Variety Meats" = Fried Leftovers

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Fried Iceberg"

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Fastfood
Four Kinds of Hors d'Oeuvres"
I'm not sure why baked rice is "fast food".

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Hei Zou (prawn rolls)
This was different from the Hei Zou I was used to, in having more prawn in the mix (I ould feel the prawn)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Crab Meat Fried Rice
Both this and the hei zou came like 5 minutes after our order. They were not kidding about fast food.
This ties with Long Beach for Best Fried Rice I've ever had.

Tasting the food, I saw why this was on CNNGO's list of the Best Teochew Restaurants in Bangkok.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Suckling Pig

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
30B Sprite (422ml). Tea/Chrysanthemum was 50B and so potentially cheaper. The 422ml glass bottle was a weird dimension (not to mention shape).

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
The ear was overrated, at least in the Suckling style. It wasn't crispy like the rest of the skin.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Rest of the pig

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Yam

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
More pomegranate juice, and refreshing Thai orange

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Cheap Bird's Nest. At a hawker style. No frills!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Cheap Shark's Fin

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Chinatown

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
More Shark's Fin

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Medicated oil (?)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Shark's Fin Emporium, I think

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Homeless person

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Chinese Goodies

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Guan Yin model

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Temple

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Wat. With plane beacon at top.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Chinatown Gate

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Durian Stands

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Coolest purchase of the trip - these are the same 2 posters, viewed from different angles
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes