"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Thursday, June 03, 2010

Sausagefest (2nd June 2010)

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later." - Mitch Hedberg

***

Last night, I had a sausagefest.

It was inspired by a night in April when I was eating Currywurst and Brot at Magma and thought that, hey, it wasn't very good and that anyway I preferred it with fries. Bunny Girl then said that she wanted to try Currywurst, and the idea was born.

At first, in keeping with the theme of the evening, I was only going to invite girls (MFTTW, Cunning Linguist, Bunny Girl and Temptation Chris came in the end), but in the end I also asked Mr Wet along (since he's in touch with his sensitive side, I guess that counts); the planned sequel will be a tacofest where I only invite guys, but I suspect Mexican food is not as popular as sausages.


The sausages we ended up consuming:

1) American Packaged Bratwurst ("Cooked Brats")
2) Cold Storage Deli Bratwurst
3) Weisswurst
4) Bockwurst

The sausages we didn't:

1) Spicy Italian
2) Cold Storage Raw Bratwurst
3) English Cumberland
4) Chorizo
5) "Wienerli. Swiss Style" (Swiss Style Vienna Sausage)


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
One of my specialities, home-made fries

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Grilling Cooked Brats and frying frites

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Done frites

We then boiled Weißwurst in beer and onions, to bring out its flavour.

Since beer in Singapore is expensive, we used the lousiest beer we could find: Tiger Beer (since 1932).

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
The only thing Tiger Beer is good for: boiling sausages

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Tiger Beer, Onions and Sausages (Weißwurst, Cold Storage Deli Bratwurst, Cooked Brat)

Unfortunately, though I had dispatched my minion (MFTTW) to German Market Place (Bukit Timah Road) to buy the curry ketchup, she forgot to bring it, so we extemporised with tomato ketchup, BBQ sauce and curry powder.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
It actually worked quite well with the BBQ sauce.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Bratkartoffeln (German Fried Potatoes), which is actually even more tedious to make than frites.

I'd felt like having Saganaki (Greek Pan-Fried Cheese), and my sister said it could be made with Halloumi which you can find in Singapore, so we also had a go at it:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Australian Halloumi in cornstarch

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Frying Halloumi

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Fried Halloumi

The crowning glory of Saganaki, of course, is when it is set on fire at your table with the cry of "Opa!"; according to Urban Dictionary, "Opa" is "Greek for, "Oh my God! Your cheese is on fire!""

So we decided to cry out "Opa!" as I valiantly tried to light the Saganaki with flaming disposable chopsticks (we had no lighter and I didn't want to search for matches).

The moment of glory was not captured successfully, but here is its aftermath:


Flaming pan-fried Saganaki (using Halloumi). With too much Cognac. And the flames were extinguished with fresh lemon juice.

Lessons from making Flaming Saganaki:

1) If your first attempt fails, do not pour more alcohol onto the same piece of cheese if you want to be able to eat it afterwards
2) Just light one piece of cheese for dramatic effect - save the rest for eating
3) There is a reason they serve it in its own small pan - so the alcohol fumes collect

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Cognac-drenched Saganaki. We didn't touch the centre piece (the one which had gotten the most cognac).

Later, we also got to eat a brownie made with an Easter Egg, and I had one of my fantasies fulfilled: having a beautiful woman spray whipped cream directly into my mouth (I gagged and had to spit).

(Credits: Main photographer of the evening, Bunny Girl, and chronicler of the NSFW pictures MFTTW)


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Bonus pictures: mutant egg found in my fridge
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes