"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Friday, July 27, 2007

Serious Eats: 30 Days of Pork

"Amanda Kelso was a 12-year veteran of vegetarianism when she went AWOL. She blames pork. "Bacon was a temptress to me," she says in her 30 Days of Pork series on photo-sharing site Flickr.

Ms. Kelso (right), a 34-year-old executive producer for an interactive ad agency in San Francisco, became a vegetarian while living with a vegan boyfriend. "He was adamant that his cookware not come in contact with any meat products." Because she cares about animals, their welfare, and their ethical treatment, she said, she found it relatively easy to give up meat. But, she says, "I love the taste, so I was one of those vegetarians who would always try all the fake meats."

It was after reading Michael Pollan's book The Omnivore's Dilemma, however, that Ms Kelso was prompted to rethink her reasons for becoming a vegetarian—namely her interest in remaining true to personal ethics regarding the impact of food on the environment and society. The book, which came out earlier this year, follows four very different meals from source to table while assessing their ethical, economical, and social impact along the way.

"After reading it, I realized that I was in violation of those ethics even while being a vegetarian," Ms. Kelso said. "Unless I drop out of society, live in the forest, and become a hunter-gatherer, I have an impact based on what I buy, no matter what it is."

In October, she broke her fast from meat with a breakfast of bacon and French toast with her current boyfriend, who, conveniently, is not a vegetarian. But, Ms. Kelso said, if she was going to embrace meat again she wanted to make an occasion of it, and so she came up with the 30 Days of Pork project, which she likened to the 12 Days of Christmas or to the season of Advent.

Her first meal of the project was a bacon and egg sandwich on rye at the Bagdad Cafe, her favorite spot in San Francisco's Castro district. From there, the possibilities were limited only by the ways in which a pig can be prepared. Such ways, of course, are myriad.

In her sampling of commonplace dishes (pork roast, sausage-topped pizza ) and some rather interesting ones (fried-Spam musubi (right) at a branch of L & L Hawaiian Barbecue), Ms. Kelso was surprised to find support from friends and strangers alike. People who had found her project on Flickr emailed with words of encouragement. A friend from Los Angeles drove up for the occasion, pork belly in cooler, to make a Korean-style meal on a tabletop grill, complete with blood sausage and, of course, kimchi ("A perfect meal after watching an episode of Battlestar Galactica," Ms. Kelso says in her Flickr caption).

Indeed, sitting down to a meal like the Korean barbecue (left) with friends—and eating the same dish—held special appeal for her. "The social interaction of sharing food, that's what eating to me is about," she said. "I really missed it, and that restriction limited my interactions with other people."

Ms. Kelso found plenty of social interaction through the project. Halfway through the month and looking to try something other than bacon and sausage pizza, Ms. Kelso's boyfriend, Cameron Marlow, posted a message to Chowhound: If you had nine days to live and had to eat pork each day, what would you choose?" They received 40 replies, one of which recommended the charcuterie plate at Incanto, a Northern Italian restaurant in San Francisco. "They're really into boar there, and they have an amazing antipasto plate with a variety of house-cured meats and head cheese."

The project was also a way for Ms. Kelso to reconnect with her past. A native of Eastern Pennsylvania, she had grown up eating scrapple (left), a mixture of cornmeal and, essentially, all the parts of the pig that are leftover after butchering. It proved difficult to procure in San Francisco, but, luckily, a friend had a cooler full of it and was happy to give her a package. "This is perhaps one of the meals I have been most looking forward to in my 30 days of pork the most," she says on Flickr.

While she says that she may go back to being a vegetarian (or maybe not), Ms. Kelso is looking forward to the holidays at home, where, she says, her father is awaiting her visit. "He's obsessed with cooking and is very excited about the next time I go out and visit him. He's already planning all his special meat dishes.""

(Courtesy of Tim The Great)


*God is Great*


day 30: "It is actually difficult to eat pork every day. While certainly it is one of the most tasty of meats, I still found that it took great planning and effort to actually not skip a day once during the month of November. There are a lot of meals that I somehow meant to eat, but never got around to it. That being said, I did feel rather adventurous in my overall pork samplings. Plus, I learned how versatile pork is as a meat. If someone said to me that the only meat I could eat for the rest of my life was pork, I could handle that restriction very easily."

day 23 - "This is perhaps one of the meals I have been most looking forward to in my 30 days of pork the most. Scrapple is an Eastern Pennsylvania specialty, that consists, of, well, just take a look at the ingredients in the picture above:
-pork stock
-pork
-pork skins
-corn meal
-wheat flour
-pork hearts
-pork livers
-pork tongues
-salt and spices
If that doesn't fill my daily pork quotient, I don't know what does!"

day 20 - course 2 - "Many people say that bacon is what breaks most vegetarians. I'd definitely agree that bacon was a temptress to me. Some of my vegetarian friends go as far as to say that bacon isn't really meat, but rather, candy. They'll say, "I'm vegetarian except for bacon," acknowledging their hypocrisy with pride."
"Once I tasted bacon, I never looked back" - alleged words from one who used not to eat pork

day 18 - "Being a vegetarian is exclusionary. Believe me, I know what it is like to get weird looks from grandmothers, boyfriend's parents and co-workers when you say you don't eat meat. You suddenly become less involved in social traditions because you don't know what an In and Out Burger tastes like, or what the big deal is about the turkey everyone is eating at Thanksgiving. I put many people out (who tolerated and respected my food choices with extreme kindness) like my dad who would always make a special meal for me, but who was also so excited about his meat dishes that I couldn't try. So for me, to eat meat is to come back into a social space of sharing experiences with others, and place that priority of participation over the ethics of eating."

30 days of pork - day 15 - "What goes with art?
If you answered "advertising" you'd be correct.
And what goes best with art and advertising?
Pork, of course!
And who would be sponsoring this kind of insanity?
Google, of course!"


Damn, I miss the US.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes