"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Erwtensoep (Dutch pea soup)

"This national Dutch glory--also called snert--is prepared differently in every household--and traditionally it is made a day ahead. Why? To improve the flavor, but also to concentrate it to the preferred thickness; viz., so that a spoon will stand upright in it. This is a time when microwave reheats are ideal--no more burning the bottom of the pan trying to reheat such a thick paste. I like the nutmeg in this recipe--it recalls the time when the Dutch had the Banda Island nutmeg trade sewn up in a monopoly. It's traditional to serve the soup with slabs of bacon on pumpernickel bread."


I got this on reduced from Hema yesterday. At first I thought it was green stamppot. It looks like and has the consistency of green mush with particles occasionally more solid found here and there, with slices of rookwurst here and there.

I can't find it under the ingredients list (I only see "kruiden", a vague term for spices/seasoning), but I vaguely smell and taste the nutmeg which lends it an interesting taste you wouldn't expect from pea soup. I doubt that there's a pig's foot in this version though. And certainly my spoon won't stand up in it (pity), though it seems thick enough to be filling.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes