"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Sunday, July 25, 2004

Quote of the Post: "Newspapermen learn to call a murderer 'an alleged murderer' and the King of England 'the alleged King of England' to avoid libel suits." - Stephen Leacock

Random Playlist Song: Mercedes Lackey - The Sunhawks

***

Tomorrow is matriculation for Arts students, and we are supposed to go down at different time slots according to our "first name as in offer letter".

Since first names are given names, as opposed to surnames, I would presumably go down during the "A-G" timeslot. However, the schedule has slots for people with first names "H-LIM", "LIN-O" and "P-TA", and I doubt there are people who have "Lim", "Lin" or "Tan" as their first names. So I guess what they meant by "first names" is not "first names", but "first word of name".

No matter. The mixups *should* be self-correcting.

***

Having a uniform to wear to school (or work, for that case) may be restrictive, but it says you a lot of trouble, as you do not have to decide what to wear, and can also keep a smaller wardrobe.

BX: "i think i'll just go tshirts and berms everyday until i run out of clothes
then i'll wear shirts and jeans
if all else fails, singlets and shorts and flip flops"

Unfortunately, the NUS dress code disallows singlets and flip flops. The part about shorts is unclear though. BX thinks it applies only to girls and their hot shorts ('hot pants'?). And I'm quite sure logically spaghetti straps are as decadent as, if not more decadent than, singlets, but the former are still worm.

Hmm.


Me: eh what do people wear in NUS?

Critic 1: leaves
coconuts
the occasional stitch

(LAME)

PaRaDoX: ask her to wear tt
to make nus a more happening place

Critic 1: ask PaRaDoX to wear that. to make nus more a hell than it already is.

***

Hair tales

Relating hair tales to others usually awards me a chorus of disapproval. Some (most of the girls I've talked to) say I won't look good with my intended hair length. Others (most of the guys I've talked to) seem shackled by an outdated notion of the maximum hair length that males are supposed to keep. Regardless, I will strive on, to achieve that which has been denied to me for the last 20 years!

Current status:

Front - Much of my fringe touches the bottom of my eyebrows
Side - It hasn't gone past half the ear yet. So right now it is almost too long to tuck behind the ears unaided, yet too short to pull past them
Back - It just about touches my collar. But then I've a naturally short neck

To think that it's been 2 1/2 months since my last haircut. I guess my hair naturally grows slowly, and En Leung says he took a year to grow his hair to shoulder length, so it will be a long time before I can fulfill my fantasy of hitting people by jerking my head.

Right now, my main problem is that my sideburns and the hair growing from above the ears look messy. There are three possible ways to deal with this. Gelling works to some extent, but I don't really like the feel of the gel when it has hardened, and there are limits to what it can do. Hair clips are slightly better, but they supposedly look weird on me, seem more suited for the fringe and I still haven't mastered the art of using them. Maybe I shall return to them at a later date. And finally, someone suggested that I wear a hairband. I'm not opposed to this just on principle, but hairbands are meant primarily to keep the fringe back rather than to deal with hair around the ears. Besides which, they do nothing for the sideburns. Perhaps trimming the sideburns will help, so they will be of an equal length with the hair growing from above the ears.

At some time in the future, I will have to invest in expensive hair products so my hair will be soft, thick, and easy to style - silky and soft, yet very thick and strong. I'm not going to keep a mullet, though.

***

<plug>

My choir senior Jiahao has set up a blog: caustic.soda

</plug>

***

"Try proving this: every direct motion is either a rotation, or exceptionally a translation

Draw a line labelled AB and then apply a direct motion to it

Next: show that every rotation can be composed as 2 reflections

If u do it, then u'll have shown that every direct motion can be composed as 2 reflections, which is an extremely powerful theorem"

*boggle* I'll take your word for it.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes