"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Saturday, January 31, 2009

"The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office." - H. L. Mencken

***

Baltics trip
Day 15 - 30th May - Kernave, Lithuania
(Part 2)


Field of cow parsley

The children were stopped at the line of rocks, as if held back by some invisible barrier, so I was free to frolic gaily in the fields of flowers.


Camwhoring. At this stage I had not yet reached that level of awesomeness which peaked in late October (I have not uploaded some of the more FAIL attempts)


Looking back at the mounds through flowers


Flora


Field of ?


Field of rapeseed


Walking through fields and reaching the river, I was greeted by an idyllic sight


I then enjoyed the birdsong by the riverside for a while. The grass was wet so I sat on a bough.


The slope I carefully tiptoed down

The rapeseed looked slightly better than the white flowers, so I commenced more camwhoring:



With some attempts at doing it while lying down:


As you can see, it didn't quite work out; this picture is labelled "bad". "Worse" and "worst" are not displayed here.


Path back


(Un)Fortunately the horde was still there, so I had to push my way through it


Grave (?)


Side of Church


The kids milling around outside the site

There was a souvenir vendor there. I tried bargaining with her a little despite the joys of doing so with no shared language (I punched in numbers on my handphone), so I gave up and paid her (doubtless inflated) price.

Walking around the area, I then discovered a graveyard.


Entrance


There were a lot of shared graves there - some with space for the spouse/sibling who hadn't yet died. I'm not sure how I'd feel about having my name engraved on a tombstone before I died, but it certainly makes things easy for the Funeral Parlor director (or Lithuanian analogue).




Presumably a family grave, since there're 3 graves here


One of the unique graves. I forgot to check if it was wood. If it was, it probably didn't date from 1927 (when the fella died). Or maybe his estate is rich and can afford to keep reconstructing it.


This seemed to have no name


There was a lot of room for the cemetary to expand. Ah, the joys of New Europe!


The perimeter wall had not caught up.


The specter of deforestation


More graves


You'll notice one tombstone has space for two but only has one name on it. Maybe they divorced?
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes