"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Originally I was going to make some Bourbon Chicken to eat at work since my brother in law gave me some whisky, but I saw miso paste in the fridge and so decided to make Miso Braised Pork. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out very well - it's definitely worse than my cream overload Carbonara and my first anaemic curry.

It didn't start off very well - I didn't tell my mother what cut of pork I was going to use, and then bought it at 1.5x the price she'd bought it for at Shop and Save. Later, I was supposed to cover the pot and simmer for 3 hours. Maybe it was using a pot instead of a Dutch Oven, or maybe the recipe doesn't scale down well (I divided by 6) but after 45 minutes everything was a burnt mess.

After cutting away the burnt bits I found the one serving left to be edible, if a bit flavourless. I tried to salvage it by dissolving miso paste in chicken stock (I'd also used stock initially instead of water) and throwing in the pork, skipping the soy sauce (who cares if the sauce is yellow instead of black?) so hopefully it's alright now.

I'm going to grill some peppers to go with the meat later. Hopefully they'll turn out alright. Cheese (proper cheese, not Kraft Singles) is horrendously expensive.

[Addendum: I should've gone all the way for the sauce: soy sauce, ginger, garlic, which would make it like the original stock. Oh well, the miso's the most important bit.

The peppers looked alright - I'm only going to eat them on Monday. No jalapenos of course, and I didn't have Oregano so I used thyme, since the bottle said it was good for cheese.]
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes