"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

"Trying to determine what is going on in the world by reading newspapers is like trying to tell the time by watching the second hand of a clock." - Ben Hecht

***


Someone sent me this. This semester there're signs in the Central Library saying that after 15 mins you may remove belongings from a place if it's unoccupied. And from this sign, they go around removing things that're unattended for too long. The rationale for this, of course, being bastards who put their things at a place and then disappear for a few hours.

I didn't find one of my exams wasn't very hard - it was sufficiently interesting, yet doable, but lots of my coursemates were complaining about its difficulty. I think they found it difficult because although there was nothing we hadn't learnt, enough things were changed that they couldn't go into NUS mode (ie regurgitation) and do exactly the same thing they'd done throughout the semester. In other words we actually had to apply what we learnt. I think it says something that in one of my modules, the lecturer has put "Do not memorise. Just try to understand" at the top of at least 2-3 sets of sets of questions.

I had only the second exam in NUS I've walked out early from (25 minutes early). And I wasn't the first, but only the second.

Every time I tell people I want more essays, they start cursing me. But then I only had 1 essay during term time this year, and 2 half-essays in one module's exam.

When I complained about photocopying costs in Utrecht last semester, someone claimed all zapping in NUS was now 3 cents a page. Yet when I went to AS7 it was still 2.5 cents a page!

Having an IVLE forum component for course grades has some disadvantages. People spam the forum with the most irrelevant/stupid stuff, there's a lot of cutting and pasting of articles (not all of which are relevant), with a token "thought this was interesting" / "what do you think?" at the end and perhaps worst of all, people resurrect threads that have been dead for several months and tack on some inane thing (which usually has already been said); the last is even worse when people make forum runs and simultaneously comment on several dead threads.

Tales of hall inmates: One swigged 90+% ethanol and then smoked a cigarette. His mouth caught fire.

There's now a courtesy phone in the Central Library. Wow.


u r wt u wr:

- "Guys make great accessories"
- "Envious eves"
- "My boyfriend is out of town"
- "This shirt would look even better on your floor"
- "Running Wild. Some No 1 *missing text*"
- "Catch his eye. Smile, wink, flirt, kiss. Live happily ever after"
- "Think smart, think single"
- "FLMP squad to the rescue" (??? - this was in a 'Back to the Future' font and layout)
- Contribution: "The girl with the most boys wins!"


Quotes:

[Me: What does chocolate do to feminine physiology?] It makes us fat... It has [Me: Endorphins] Women are like permanently depressed.

I feel cold. [Student 2: You need a man]

Open book [exams] is just a scam to make you waste time flipping.

[On my wearing of bunny girl's key] I love that key. What is it the key to? Is it the key to your heart? Is it the key to someone else's heart? [SUG: It's the key to his virginity]

There's something fundamentally wrong with Singaporean society. Of all the people I've met, Singaporeans are the unhappiest in the region... It doesn't matter if you're rich or poor. You sit in the coffeeshop... The Filipinos in my church are very happy. I don't know if the Philippines is happy.

[Student on spontaneous human combustion: We wanted to test it on someone.] Find a Year 1. They're noisy, they're everywhere and they're fugly.

[On Starburst fruit chews] It's an ang moh brand, it's gotta be good... [Me: 'Hydrogenated palm oil'. That means it has both saturated fat *and* trans fat.] Did you have to tell me that?

I was a waitress and SDU booked the restaurant. The girls were ok. The guys were... yucks.

Everytime you sit down, my laptop- [Me: Jerks?] Yah. You know it goes into hibernation and then it turns back on again.

[On the Madonna Code] Oh, it's quite nice. [Student: What, like yours?] *sticks finger in air* [Student: You like that? *touches finger*]

I looked at it. It's damn gross... [Me: Did you see Meatspin?]... *points to aborted baby on cigarette pack* I look at this almost every day lor.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes