"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Sunday, April 19, 2009

"That you may retain your self-respect, it is better to displease the people by doing what you know is right, than to temporarily please them by doing what you know is wrong." - William J. H. Boetcker

***

Keep to common laws; keep cyberspace chatter meaningful

I have been publicly flogged in cyberspace and privately roasted by some friends whenever my views on issues of public, sectional or national issues remotely suggest an affinity with the powers that are.

There are hordes in cyberspace, in the name of freedom of expression, lashing out anonymously and with virtual impunity, at others whose views they deem contrary to theirs.

The attacks are especially virulent and disproportionately irrelevant, if the authors of the commentary are considered pro establishment.

It is the inalienable right of all to have their say in cyberspace. I am of the opinion that adhering to the common laws of decency, rationality, reciprocity and politeness would have made the exchanges much more meaningful and fruitful.

The extent to which some pursue their agenda denigrates the very nature and purpose of a vibrant marketplace of contending ideas, agenda, stances etc: The intensity of verbal assaults, the unfettered use of intemperate language, the overwhelming sense of unbridled fury and the very vicious nature of personal attacks all but bury the issue(s) discussed.

Once I communicated with a forum poster via emails after he/she had posted a remark I felt needed clarification. I drew him/her out of the forum for a one-on-one discussion.

It was the best way to engage someone intelligently and substantially without all the distracting bluster of one-upmanship, stridency, interferences from other online participants etc.

I began in earnest to pen commentaries, which I submitted to the newspapers after I have retired from teaching.

Most of my articles are related to the crinkles in the education system, and my suggestions are about improving or smoothening them out.

I empathize with the editorial board of the print media because they have to be constantly alert and be mindful of legal entanglement and entrapment.

Someone once quipped that anyone exercising his democratic rights must know that the entitlement stops right at the tip of his adversary’s nose. Period.

Ho Kong Loon


I actually agree with this guy, but I don't think it's just "hordes in cyberspace" - Singaporeans in general are incapable of having proper and civil arguments.

As a friend commented, "You're the only person I know of in Singapore who I can disagree with and not piss off"
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes