"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

"Success didn't spoil me, I've always been insufferable." - Fran Lebowitz

***

Japan trip
Day 6 - 11th June - Himeji jo
(Part 1)


Geisha/Samurai cosplay service. Interestingly, there are no restrictions on gender - and I saw a picture somewhere of a man as a geisha (though maybe not from this studio). For the same price, those dressing as geisha get more photos (interesting, especially considering it's harder to dress someone up as a geisha than a samurai).

Because my sleep schedule had been disrupted, I had to take a train different from the one I originally planned for. The lady at the Shinkansen station didn't seem to know what the Limited Express Super Hakuto was, but luckily I had many backup routes.

I took the Shinkansen to Himeji, for Himeji Castle. Of the few Japanese castles which are not concrete reconstructions, it is also the most splendid of them as it has kept its original shape.


Rice field from train. I know that they are short of land, but this is ridiculous, putting rice fields everywhere. A vegetable garden in your backyard is one thing, but this is rice! There were even more ridiculous rice fields (e.g. houses almost to the edge of the tracks, then 2 small plos), but I didn't manage to snap them.


"Japan Reading Boxing Association". Chess Boxing is nothing!


Weird statue just outside train station

There was a Baskin Robbins in the station, which sold dry ice. Hah.


Vie de France - French bakery which has French text. Given the state of Engrish in Japan, I wondered how the Fwench was (French-speakers can check it out on the bottom right). I have since discovered that it's an international franchise, so it was probably alright.


The castle


"Something Center Store. All culture media"
Presumably this means they have stuff from outside Japan. Note also: "Rest rooms. Please use them without hesitation". This is the first time I've seen such a sign. Usually it's "Restroom for customers only"


Tree House Bookstore. I don't see any tree.


Map


"Himeji City Tourist Information Center... You can rent a bike or wheelchair free of charge... Public restrooms are available (wheelchair accessible and colostomy bag drainable)" - How helpful (colostomy bag drainable?!). And this is one place perfect for the wheelchair scam (in many places, people in wheelchairs and one minder get free entry)!
Also notice that "Tourist" is stuck on. I wonder what it used to say.


Nearer


"Ornamental Swords. Cheapest price - araund near here. Check first. We are not tourist price... We have Ninja-T-Shirts"


I was thinking of having Tamago Soba, but they had an English menu so I decided to try Somen (a local noodle speciality) instead. I asked if there was Tamago Somen, but after some explanation (involving writing "Tamago Soba --> Tamago Somen" on paper) found out that there wasn't.


Preserved mushroom appetizer. I thought this meant a cover charge but surprisingly there was none.


Nyumen (Somen in hot soup; Y650). They were a bit like mee sua, but not as fine. The broth was extremely light.


Bridge into park


Map of park


Gate


Castle


A SHRUBBERY!!!!




Information plaque

I enquired if there was an English guide, but unfortunately there wasn't. I'd spoken to someone who'd come on another day and he said there hadn't been one either. Maybe they came only once a year. Or on weekends.


"Please drink water to avoid heat"
Translation: "Don't die on us". But it wasn't *that* hot when I was there.


Slope


Map




Drawn map



Going to the toilet, I prayed that I wouldn't have to use a Jap toilet cubicle, and turned the corner to find:


Toilet converted from Japanese to Western style


Sink-side admonition to wash your hands with soap. Notice, however, that like most Japanese public sinks, THIS HAS NO SOAP. Instead, despite an admonishment not to, I used the toilet seat cleaner. What sort of country provides toilet seat cleaner but not soap? Damn Japs.
Note also the furigana (hiragana above the kanji). Maybe they want all the kids to understand the instructions.


Ru Gate (secret passage)




"A lot of Buddhism-oriented stones once existing on the hill called Himeyama were used to build stone walls as the substitute. This hexagonal stone is the stone lantern base used as the substitute"
I don't see the lantern. Do you?


"A Tile of the Cross" - Cross sacrilege (a cross reused as a building tile)




"Magnificent View of the Main Tower Complex: Two different factors-elegance and vigor make the complex more beautiful and this is indeed Japanese"




Story about donations of stones to build the castle


"水一門", "水二門", "水三門" (First, Second and Third water doors)
I felt very stupid taking pictures of these


Crest Tiles of Himeji Castle

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes