"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Friday, October 17, 2008

"Television is the first truly democratic culture - the first culture available to everybody and entirely governed by what the people want. The most terrifying thing is what people do want." - Clive Barnes

***

Japan trip
Day 10 - 15th June - Koyasan
(Part 4)

After the festival, I went to see the other sites in Koyasan.

I was a little hungry and not sure how long I could keep the mochi before it started to decompose, so I followed the, oh, seven second rule (I had picked it up from the road during the mayhem) and ate it. It was so plain and hard, it killed my appetite (which means it worked).


Entrance
I scribbled something like "Daishi Kyoker" which presumably refers to this place but that term doesn't exist. IIRC it was the seminary training monks.




Bridge and pond






Hall


They're folding some cloth from the festival


Pilgrim's stick


"Universal Assistance" - I was surprised to see this in English


"Universal Reverence"


Altar


Lanterns

I then continued walking.


One of the many many monasteries.


Bridge



Daito (Great Stupa)


Plaque


Another building, and a peek in

Most of the religious places in Japan didn't allow photography inside. They didn't sell postcards (though they did other merchandise), so I could respect that.




Konbon Daito Pagoda / Toto


Lintels


The one on the left is for traffic safety. The one on the right is "修行大師(shūgyō daishi) = 弘法大師(Kōbō Daishi) = 空海(Kūkai) ↑ Poet, and artist, founder of the 眞言=真言("True Word") school of Japanese Buddhism" - i.e. the guy whose birthday it was.


Kondo Hall. There were very nice wall paintings of deities inside.


"You tossed your cigarette out the window. You looked like you were fleeing the scene of a crime"

At the Western edge of the town was a gate.


Daimon (back view)


Plaque



Daimon


Gods in the gate

As you can see, it had started raining so I made my way back under my umbrella. I guess I could've taken the bus, but the bus timings were horrible so either way would've taken as long and anyway I like walking in civilised climes.

I was feeling peckish so I stopped by a chewy-stuff shop.


Assorted delights

Unsurprisingly, what I got was filled with adzuki:


After the worst mochi in the world it was fantastic.


Sleeping monk. People had put 1 Yen coins as offerings. Just remember: you reap what you sow.


Another monastery. If I return I must stay at one of these. They look fantastic.

I then went to the Tokugawa Mausoleum.


Trees


Plaque


One of the tombs

I was pissed off because the entrance fee was Y200, but we didn't even get to enter the compounds.


Other one

[Addendum: This mausoleum is for their spirits.]
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes