"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Sunday, June 29, 2008

"Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act." - Truman Capote

***


Incredibly lifelike statue which made me do a double take

I was at a Catholic-Christian wedding yesterday, and although the usual verse from Ephesians was read (sans context, but with nary a word of objection from feminists in the crowd), it was interesting that the wedding vows mirrored each other.

To wit:

Groom: I, [Groom's name], take you, [Bride's name], to be my wife. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honour you all the days of my life.

Bride: I, [Bride's name], take you, [Groom's name], to be my husband. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honour you all the days of my life.

In contrast, I was at a Fundamentalist Protestant-Christian wedding many years ago, and in addition to the usual verse from Ephesians being read (again, sans context), the wedding vows did *not* mirror each other. In other words, the wife vowed to submit to the husband, and the husband vowed to love the wife (with nary a word of objection from feminists in the crowd).

What *was* at both weddings, IIRC, was a promise to bring up the children in the faith. Which neatly contrasts with claims that everyone chooses the faith freely.


"Let us offer each other the sign of peace"


For feminists who might want to object at weddings:

When the preacher says "speak now or forever hold your peace," what happens if someone objects?

"If the bride or groom objects, the wedding is most likely off. Anyone else and, barring documented proof that the marriage is illegal, a drunken brawl is a more likely outcome...

Today, many ceremonies omit "speak now or forever hold your peace." Modern practices such as obtaining a marriage license have rendered the question obsolete."
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes