"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Wednesday, August 29, 2001

Council has mystical powers. They catch wind of my designs too quick. Now, the J1 Council knows of me (or at least the one who approached me).

This whole week, the Council has been putting up all these posters with inspiring quotes for teachers like, "Teaching is the profession that teaches all other professions", which I am rather incensed by, for some reason. The Council likes to give us a sweetened version of reality with all their weird activities (eg: "Footprints in the sand, will you be my friend" - according to Kairen)

Close to 10AM this morning, "He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches. - George Bernard Shaw" starts appearing on the posters with the Council's Quotes. Apparently Mr Purvis likes to use this one a lot.

By 2, many of them have been appended with the new quote. Good arguments always have 2 sides, no?

I came out of History lecture at 5:20 or so and I found that Council had torn down many of their Teachers' Day posters, the ones with quotes. So, well, they're tearing down their own posters. I helped them dispose of a few.

And at ~5:40, the J1 Councillor Anamika (?) comes to me and asks, "Are you responsible for these", brandishing the torn down sheets of paper with the Shaw quote.

"Actually, yes"

"Do you know someone spent a lot of time making these"

I thought of saying, "Do you know I spent a lot of time writing the quotes on?" but didn't, because it is mean.

So I have a hastily thrown together line of argument that goes something like, Quotes can be used for many purposes. You shouldn't lie with quotes. If you quote famous people supporting Teachers' Day, I give a quote supporting the opposite side - the most famous anti-teacher Quote that I know of.

Giving up, she says, "but it's Teachers' Day", and I smile sweetly at her


"All your campaigns have failed." - Grace referring to the anti-Purple Uniform one(s)
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes