"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Sunday, July 27, 2008

For the USP Commencement Dinner: "Shanghai Nites", I went as...


A Xiaolongbao (I won Best Dress for the Male category, in spite of getting a lot of nominations under both genders)

This makes up for my failure to go for the "Bollywood" D&D in Year 1 dressed as a coconut tree.

I have a lot more solidarity with women now, since the straps of my costume kept on falling off during the night.

Thanks to Jianhao for the idea, Hum Sup Guy for implementation suggestions, my mother for telling me to buy from the market, Sandra and California Girl who wanted to come down but couldn't, the tailoring assistants Jean and SUG and most of all, my lovely tailor Lynn!


Aside: Meritus Mandarin >> Hilton in cooking Chinese food

And since I don't have any other recent vaguely related posts to dump these:

The NUS alumni update form lists, under races: "Chinese, Malay, Indian, Others, Sikh, Sri Lankan, Other Indian, Eurasian, Other Asian, Caucasian, Slovak". Do we have so many Slovaks?!

I dropped by the USP orientation camp and this incoming freshman girl from RJ said she used to read my quotes page. Hah.

Though we don't pay for Commencement, NUS probably makes a profit on it: the food is bad (ie probably cheap), the soft toys are overpriced ($40 for a bear, $60 for a lion - or something) with someone who's been on many overseas trips commenting that she'd bought a bear at every university she'd been to - but didn't buy one at her Commencement and the vendors rip you off ($14 for 2 photos - soft copy not included).

I was intending to have a go at Fright Night, not least since Eugene and I were refused entry last year (because we would 'disrupt the order') but didn't in the end, since I didn't have someone to go in with me, the whole activity was over-schedule (it ended at 4+), I'd seen the ghosts during their pep talks, I got to beta test one station, I heard the ginna talking about it ad nauseum so I knew half of it and I had experienced the most scary part of Fright Night - riding at the back of a rickety pickup like a bangla while it was barreling around bends. After entertaining half the ginna after their trauma, I went back, slept for 2 hours and then walked to Pasir Ris MRT and took the 5:50am train back.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes