"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Quote of the Post: "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known." - Walt Disney

***

Blogger News:

Ask your readers to think of three photos they'd like to see posted to your blog. (Things around your house or whatever.) When you have enough requests, post them!

I don't suppose there's anyone so bored as to send in a request.

***

I find out about the latest Japanese fetishes and perversions:


"Zentai is basically cover the entire of your body including legs, toes, body and head. So you look like a mannequin. When you are zentai, normally you must not talk and need to rely on your body expressions. This is already famous in taiwan, germany, US and japan. Normally exhibitions will see some people in zentai to demostrate products or just a display item in show.

Cosplay is doing costumes so that it make you become a character of anime, game or movie characters. Doing cosplay costumes rely a lot of skills. Singapore has a cosplay club, holding competitions like every year. They attend movie promotion ceremony, etc to be in the news headlines with their home-made costumes.

And lastly, kiragumi. A mix of zentai and cosplay. Where the characters are masked, into full lycra overall costume and wear anime, game or movie characters costume. This is the most trendy thing in Japan now. US already has some fans in it.

There are already some zentai fans in singapore."

***

Aha! I've found out what the "S. W. R. D." in S. W. R. D. Bandaranaike stands for: Solomon West Ridgeway Dias.


"Having deliberately chosen to go out of control, Kumaratunga has elected to attempt to distract the electorate by enacting an elaborate drama on stage. Last week in Polonnaruwa, she danced to the cheers of the party faithful, seeking to ridicule Finance Minister K. N. Choksy by mimicking his facial expressions. It is Choksy after all, who is spearheading the cabinet subcommittee's investigation into her vehicle purchases. Inoffensive as always, Choksy laughed off the attack. By choosing to criticise the personal appearance of the finance minister, Kumaratunga is paving the way for similar attacks on her own appearance which, let's face it, is far from fetching. How would Kumaratunga feel if fun were poked at her dysfunctional eye, her evil squint, her bizarre choice of hair dye, the ever widening tyre of flab around her waist, the rapidly expanding expanse of her ample posterior and her duck-like gait? But mark the precedent: when in the run up to the 2000 general election a woman mimicked Kumaratunga, eye-patch and all, she was assaulted and her house vandalised. The police were never to investigate the crime: so much for Kumaratunga's sense of humour."

***

Interesting analysis of me run through the Script / AOLer Translator (just try deciphering this!):


FIRST THNG TAHT COMES 2 MIND IS OMG U HAF SO MUCH TEIM11!1!1!!!!1! WTF OMG WTF LOL

NO!!111! OMG RILLY I WONDER IF U DONT SLEP OR SOMETHNG1!!1!!!! OMG LOL U HAEV TIEM 2 GET CAUGHT UP WIT SO MANY BLOGS WRIET SUCH INT3RESTNG ENTREIS ON UR THAN SYNDICAET IT 2 LJ!!!1!!!1 LOL AND DA THNG IS TAHT U DONT AV3N WRIET ONE-LIENRS!1!1!11 OMG WTF U SEM 2 HAEV R3SEARCH3D EVERY SNGL3 3NTRY B/C WTF I DONT KNOW HOW U READNG BAES IS SO WIED!1!!! OMG SARCASM WORKS WIT ME AND I QUIET LIEK UR EXCEPT TAHT SOMATIEMS IMM 2 DUMB 2 G3T IT!!!!11 WTF I ADMIER UR WIT 2 AND UR 2NGU3-IN-CHEK WRITNG STYLE11!!! OMG WTF I FIND U INT3R3STNG 2 TOK 2 NOT QUIET DA TYPICAL SNGAPOREAN OR RI GRADUAET (BUT I DONT RILLY WANT 2 STEROTYP3 NO MAT3R HOW HYPOCRITICAL TAHT MAEKS ME SOUND)!!!1!!! WTF HOW3V3R I GET THIS FELNG TAHT U FEL PAOPLA WIT A RELIGION MISGUIEDD AND U LOK DOWN ON OTHARS QUIET A BIT!!11!!!! OMG WTF LOL =| INCLUDNG M31!!! OMG LOL UR INTAR3ST IN PR SLASH IS MUSNG THOUGH!111!! OMG D

***

Last Thursday, I finally had a $18 hair cut. Those shackled by archaic notions of what males should and should not do need not rejoice, for it was just a little trim. A $18 haircut is a very different experience from a $9 abang one, and though I could have had 2 abang haircuts for the price of the one I got, I didn't trust abang with my 5 months of "hard work", fearing he'd ruin it. Besides which, the experience was very interesting. Meanwhile Zhiming doesn't want to waste money cutting his hair. My explanation is that my little trim is something of a scientific experiment, to investigate if hair really grows faster after it's been trimmed.

Some people commented that my hair was very "retro". Whether it's because of the sideburns or my clipped-back fringe, I don't know.

Tym asked if I was going to launch an invective about the double standards of (Singaporean) society in allowing women to dye their hair and keep it any length they want (the caterwauling of some Secondary School Principals about 'inappropriate gender behavior' notwithstanding), while men face disapproval if they dye their hair, and woe betide them if they have long hair and are not in an arty-farty job, or the yuppie service industry. Suffice to say that, as with fashion, there are 2 categories of hair lengths and styles: female and unisex.

[Addendum: Wowbagger responds - "There exist unacceptable levels of shortness for female hair. Crew cuts are definitely out, as my family and strangers in the female toilets let me know with some pandemonium two years ago." But generally, my observation holds (as for fashion). Just the other day I saw this ang moh skinhead girl in NUS. You don't see *that* many males with crew cuts anyway.]

Speaking of which, I haven't done a hair status update in a while:
Fringe: Reaching the bottom of my eyes in some places
Sides: Some strands are now touching my earlobe
Back: I don't really notice much change, but maybe that's because of my short neck


Someone asked me why I am so opposed to the Halal-isation of originally non-Halal food (eg the substitution of beef or turkey bacon for real bacon). I asked him what he thought of curry made without chili, or satay without satay sauce, and he replied that he wouldn't eat it. Besides which, the total abandonment of culinary principles (ie not offering a more authentic alternative) in the pursuit of cheap profits is morally suspect.

He Who Must Not Be Named has asked me to accompany him while he engages in various dull daily chores, like laundry. Just like me, he detests ironing. Personally, I don't mind doing laundry, washing dishes or even, in extremis, drying them. But ironing is horrific. On the rare occasions when I do ironing, after the first few minutes, when I get the worst of the creases out, it seems that the more I iron, the more crumpled my garments get. Besides which, my philosophy is that within the first 5 minutes of your donning a garment, it will get somewhat creased, so there's no point seeking perfection in ironing.

I've never understood what people see in jeans. Granted, they're easy to match and don't need ironing, but they are wretchedly hot, and I don't see why people find them so comfortable. Heck, I don't even own a pair of jeans. Or at least not any that I've worn (or could have fit into) for the past 5 years. Interestingly, many jeans I see have a brown patch sewn onto the butt area with the waist and length measurements. I suspect that one reason we have men's jeans and women's jeans is that the waist measurements printed on the brown patch on female jeans is actually 2 sizes smaller. I must go around with measuring tape one day and attempt to gather empirical evidence to prove my theory. Also, what's with denim made with uneven yarns?

Ban Xiong memorably proclaimed, on many occasions, that the only cure for footrot is ORD. Unfortunately, like so many of his grand pronouncements, this wasn't strictly true. Melvin is still afflicted by footrot and it's spreading, despite his wearing shoes only once a week. Meanwhile I was struck by a spot of it a few weeks back, but with vigorous application of Daktarin, aka Miconazole Cream, it has been eradicated. And even he doesn't trust himself, applying the cream regularly as a preventive measure. Bah.

Hoods, zips (when not strictly necessarily to keep the garment from falling off the wearer) and strings tempt me so. I should hire someone to stand still while I enact my various fantasies involving them.


For some reason, many Malays love to extract portions of their names so they'll sound Western. Examples:

Nur Hasanah (Nana)
Norlinda, Haslinda (Linda)
Norlinda (Nora)
Amirah (Amy)
Rosanah (Ros, Rosie)
Rafidah (Fee)
Shamsuddin (Sam)
Sharifah (Sherry)
Mohammad (Hams - facetious suggestion by a Malay friend)
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes