"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Monday, July 13, 2009

"Man has to suffer. When he has no real afflictions, he invents some." - Jose Marti

***

On "power relations":

An Argument with Barney Frank

"In the midst of his 21st year in Congress, openly gay U.S. Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., sat down with Rex Wockner last week to assess the state of the gay union...

Barney Frank: In your day-to-day life, are you discriminated against as a gay man?

Rex Wockner: No. Never.

Barney Frank: Fine. Unlike 30 years ago when almost everybody was. ... In many metropolitan areas today, you can live as a gay man or lesbian without anybody impinging on your life. Therefore, not everybody votes for the cause. They vote for things that affect their life. In a purely self-interest sense, that's rational [for a gay person to vote Republican].

Rex Wockner: I don't vote Republican. ... You know, it's not only that I never get discriminated against in any way, and that my gayness doesn't have any impact on my daily existence any more. I think I sometimes get special treatment because it's cool or hip to be gay now.

Barney Frank: No question. That's absolutely right. I certainly get it.

Rex Wockner: I get mainstream journalistic assignments because I'm gay.

Barney Frank: I know that's right. ... Once it became clear my boyfriend and I were together and it got in the papers -- he works at World Bank -- we started getting invitations from straight colleagues of his to go to boring parties, because it was cool to have a gay couple.

Rex Wockner: That's the environment now in urban areas of all First World countries.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes