"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Saturday, September 02, 2006

"Never tell anyone that you're: writing a book, going on a diet, exercising, taking a course, or quitting smoking. They'll encourage you to death." - Lynn Johnston

***

I saw $10 Happy Tree Friends T-shirts being sold in the bazaar. Considering they're priced at US$19.99 on the online store, and even the best special offer is $9.99, I was very skeptical. I saw one girl wearing one and asked her if it was from there. She said it was, and her friend read the label which said "Voodoo".

Some people complained that they gave us one lecturer who has no PhD. But I suspect that on the whole, non-PRC TAs are better at teaching than lecturers.

Some people want to put on nail polish, but don't remove it. So when it wears out and when the nail grows out, it looks very ugly when they wear open-toed footwear.

The current batch of USP Year 2s likes to converse in Chinese a lot.


I saw a sign for "NUS StompAIDS" - "Don't encage yourself from the truth about HIV". So I wrote in to the email address provided: "I saw one of your posters in Block ADM (USP Block). I was thinking that maybe, like some foreign universities, you could put free condom dispensers in the student dorms. Or if you don't have enough funding, maybe condom dispensers providing them at a low (student) rate would be helpful too. This would have additional contraceptive benefits as well (I don't suppose there's a "NUS Anti-Pregnancy" group you could team up with)."

After I sent the mail, someone pointed out "Pregnancy Awareness" would sound better. Oh well.

Someone: "there;s such a grp in nus? wow..".
!@#$

Someone else: me likes this pic

Someone: The Sexuality Department at ANU [of the student union] provides free contraceptives.

***

I was at one of the 2 Halal outlets of Sakura, a most curious restaurant opposite NUS where the buffet had, besides cold prawns, oyster, sashimi, teppanyaki and abalone with dou miao, also chicken feather sausage (more familiar to Singaporean readers as "hot dog") pizza, fried rice with chicken feather sausage, chicken feather sausage sushi, grilled whole chicken feather sausage, nuggets, samosas, breaded crab claws (the cheap ones which are mostly surimi) and crabstick salad, all washed down with kordial and complemented with palm oil ice cream (for which plastic spoons were given). The teppanyaki lamb came with a spoon of FMV (Frozen Mixed Vegetables). It was $20 nett (weekday lunch), so that explains it. Incidentally, the chef was setting the dou miao in abalone with dou miao on fire - I thought you could only do that if you added alcohol to your food. I must try the non-Halal outlets one day and see how different they are.

I was at a Yami Yoghurt branch at maybe 9pm, and when I asked for a small cup, the woman opened the freezer and gave me a pre-prepared cup of frozen yoghurt. This is indicative of why Singaporean food sucks.

I think I ate less in Europe. This is because my parents eat early, then later I feel hungry. Damn.

***

The case of the USSR shows how National Identity imposed upon a people from above by force, instead of being allowed to evolve naturally and gradually, will evaporate once the imposition stops.

The trailer for Chai Lia Angels has a hair flipping scene. Gah. The towel upskirt scene looks funny though.

Ever since upgrading my counter, I've found that my hits have gone down a lot, so actually this is quite an unpopular and small-time blog. I suspect that this is because the old Extreme Tracker counted hits on all my pages, while the new one only counts hits on some (but I'm not sure which - it's definitely not only the main page). The hit to my ego notwithstanding, the only damage done is that I can't track all my search referrals. I suppose I should get a better tracker sometime soon to keep a finger on the warped pulse of the Internet.

The English like to boast that their island has not been successfully invaded by a foreign power since 1066. How come no one ever talks of William III?

I think I shall make a new resolution. When I have no time or more important things to do, don't send out mass messages and don't get pulled into long, drawn out and ultimately pointless conversations. Other people are good at this skill, which is why I get ignored all the time.

The next time someone criticises me based on my age, I will come up with a similar argument to slam them back. "You're too set in your ways", "You have too many preconceived notions", "Your mind is slow due to your advanced age" and "You're too jaded - you can't see the world for what it really is" sound promising.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes