"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Friday, May 26, 2006

I was prevented from bringing a bottle of plain water into the Arts library. Gah.

With somewhat warmer weather, all the pussies appear on the streets. I wonder where they've been hiding the last few months.


2 of my Dutch class classmates saw me walking home from class, so one of them offered to lend me the use of her bike while she hopped on the other guy's. When I told them I couldn't cycle, they were flabbergasted. The guy then offered to let me hop on the back of his and I cheerfully accepted.

Riding on the back of a bike is harder than it looks. You can't touch the wheel or the floor, so you have to do leg lifts and hold them in position. It's quite tiring, really. Furthermore, you need the right timing to hop on.

Somehow I found sitting sideways (like how females are supposed to ride horses) awkward, so I switched to mounting the bicycle like one would mount a horse. It was okay (albeit tiring) till we hit the traffic intersection, where I walked across. When I tried to get on after the intersection, I sat on my thumb and somehow kicked out of place on the bike because my legs were flailing around.

Ugh.


Maggi has 3 grades of instant mash potato - normal, stamppot and oven schotel (dishes). And there's one type with cheese inside. Wah.

Aldi may sell food for a low price, but sometimes the quality is lacking. For example, the fruit juice and milk cartons have caps on them, but after you remove the inner seal the outer caps leak.

Slices of carrot can pass through the digestive tract intact. What a hardy vegetable.

I attemped to make jiang1 si1 shou4 rou4 (shredded ginger with meat). Problems:
1) I left my meat in the microwave for too long to defrost since it was a smaller portion than I normally use. So it got partially cooked. After it was stir fried it was too tough
2) I put too much ginger so it was too hot
3) I cut the ginger too small so I ate much of it. Also, I forgot to wash it and didn't bother skinning it.
4) I had too little sauce. I need to add more oyster sauce and rice wine next time.


Quotes:

dement / demon't (demand)

We have a shark (shock)

H'ice skeared (high skilled)

After bra'gaining (bargaining)

ray'zern (reason)

Get some in'sear'rence from the state (insurance)

The prime is for the guy (problem)

They are not foe kearsed on money (focused)

[Tutor: Welke groente eet jij vanavond? {What vegetables are you eating tonight?}] Err. Patat? [Tutor: In {the} Netherlands, 'Patat' is french fries.]

[Tutor: Wat kosten een paprika? {How much does a paprika cost?}] 3 euro. [Tutor: *some disparaging remark*] [Student 2: 50 cents.] [Student 3: Where does he shop?] [Tutor: Aldi]... [Student 4: Where is this Aldi everyone is talking about?]

*** [a girl], perhaps it's an impolite question. Hoeveel weeg jij? [How much do you weight?] [Student: 54 kilo]

Is 'haar' rabbit? I've seen it [the word] around. [Tutor: Nee. 'Haar' is 'hair'.] [Student 2: What've you been eating?]

[Tutor: Waarom ga je naar de drogist? {Why do you go to the druggist?}] Hashish.

But now I want to make things a bit more interesting and have some mathematical rehearsals with you (?)

[Scaring people on the exam] It's the 4th block of the 3rd year so I expect you to know everything from the 1st 3 years.

When are we in equilibrium in Economics in general. Philosophical question. *To student* When are you in equilibrium? [Student: When all my equations are optimised] When are *you* in equilibrium? [Student: When all my equations are optimised... inner peace]

[Student: I think there's another mistake.] [Student 2: It doesn't matter.] It doesn't matter. Let him figure it out for himself.

[On transparency] There are corrupt judges in ofreign countries. Maybe we can make some movies about this. (?!)
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes