"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

A report from a representative I sent down to the VCF talk last Wednesday: "Is it true...? Debunking the myths of Christianity" (the title actually makes it sound like an anti-Christian talk):


Representative: Not as well as I had hoped, the guy that I was with thought that the speaker wanted to beat me up or something
I was terribly frustrated towards the end and I think it showed

Not much, standard arguments...very standard apologetics. Gosh, with the amount of interpretation that he did, the bible could prove anything you wanted

yeah...you should have been there. Would have been more useful. I just realise that I could make a fantastic fundamentalist =P The highlight of the entire thing was when I used Hebrew to demonstrate why the creation myth of Genesis 1 was meant to be read literally

why the 6 days of genesis is a literal 6 days.

Me: but were these the "the earth is <10,000 years old" type?

R: Oh no...which is really good. They belong firmly in the metaphor and apologetics camp

Apparently the word yom in genesis wasn't just that. It was followed by 3 other hebrew words which clearly meant night and day. Hence night and day, god created this etc. This is especially so when Hebrew has like 3 different characters for epoch.

Me: ah I dimly recall this
tell me more

R: But I don't think my conduct was entirely examplery...nor too convincing unfortunately

I've decided that attending suchs talks as those held by VCF are a necessary evil
Someone needs to keep them honest. I mean the crowd there was docile and eating up everything the speaker was saying

Me: hahahaha
were you the only one?

ok we shall notify each other of upcoming ones

R: yeah
small crowd with the president of VCF nodding away at everything...

Me: wah
when I went last year there were 2-3 other skeptics

R: Lunch time talk....the rational and logical person would be having lunch
Since skeptics = rational and logical, egro they wouold be having lunch. THUS they would not have been there

Me: hahahahhahahaha
wth

eh last year it was lunch time too

R: Then maybe they left it up to me...=P
*Shrugg*...either that or they were turned away at the door

I wonder if I can attend any of these talks anymore =P

Me: haha
let's find out next time :)
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes