"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Thursday, July 09, 2009

"Most of the change we think we see in life is due to truths being in and out of favor." - Robert Frost

***

A poem from Mr Wang's book, Two Baby Hands, which he also read during the book launch:


A Nothing Kind of Job

I come to work
in a shirt and tie
I draft contracts
my clients call me
all day long
to ask me questions
& wrap up deals
their deadlines
sound like threats
my palms sweat
as I reply politely
& tell myself
be cool, it's a
nothing kind
of job

I go for meetings
where they talk about
companies & money
not art or happiness
just companies & money
they draw charts
I take notes
they talk numbers
I take notes

when they argue
I take notes
sometimes I say something
like please stop fighting
& they listen
I draw cats and dogs
when no one's
looking
I tell myself that
most people hate
their jobs

Once I tried to quit
I gave my boss the letter
he said why
I said I don't know
he said you can't do this to me
I said why not
he said it's the money
I said it's not
you're lying & I'll raise
it's 500 bucks, he said
I said ok & took
my letter back
he smiled
I felt sorry for myself
I knew it was a nothing
kind of job
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes