"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Quotes:

laser fairy (laissez faire)

[On multiple equilibria] Going on a date, that kind of game.

[On a picture of the world at night] Singapore is right here. Right now, it's a little red dot.

[On Landes, 1998] It's a very good 10 pages. Among the things it tells you is that Harvard University doesn't have a Geography department.

We are lucky enough to have air-conditioning... heat debilitates. Humidity adds to the heat. You know that if you sit outside this lecture theatre you don't really want to work.

[On schistosomiasis] the larva of snails (larvae)

[Demonstrating the wimpiness of Economics compared to the other Social Sciences] Of course I'm not gonna get you guys to read an entire book.

[On explaining economic development] Jeff Sachs, whenever he gives talks - he just throws Singapore aside. Whatever graph he draws, Singapore is in some obscure corner.

[On explaining economic development in SEA] The mosquitoes that inhabit this region are less commando than in Sub-Saharan Africa

It might be the only part of David Romer's book where you don't find a model. Similarly, this might be the only part of the lecture where you don't find a model.

Charles Jones. His friends call him 'Chad'.

[On Freedom House's map of the world] I can't see what goes on in Singapore, but I believe we are partly free. [Student: Not free] Not free? Everything costs.

In Singapore, if you vandalise you get caned. In Myanmar, if you don't vandalise you still get caned.

Don't worry too much about the maths. Think of it as another language.

You better know what Arsenal is. It's a way to earn cookie points.

Are you an Arts Student? [Female student: Business] What is your weight? Not your mass. [Student: 50kg]

Did your Dad use the cane on you? [Student: Definitely. Not. I will tell him to use it on my grandson] (his?)

Everyone talks about outdoor air quality. No one talks about indoor air quality... What about SR2? That place smalles.

Yesterday I had my teeth checked at NUH... 'There is a theory that dentists, before marriage, need to check the teeth of their partner.' He said: 'Yah, it's true. I would like to do that.' I meant it as a joke. He thought I was serious. The nurse was laughing.

8.0 rich t'er (richter)

[On a programming test] It's open-book - you can bring anything, but not anyone.

That's why in USP we look at other things beside your exam grades. But what you say in your interview and what you do later - 'I like the challenge'. So we give you the challenge.

[On a post-mortem of SQ006] I'm not supposed to know this. 2 years ago I attended a conference in the UK. One of the guys was an investigator... I was the only one from Singapore. If he can show it to those guys I don't see why I can't show you. I don't think SIA will be very happy.

Machines are not affected by machines of the other sex. They don't get angry at other machines.

I wonder if I can still live my childhood dream - to have a number named myself. *** ratio or the *** number.

[On the sham of finance] I wonder if Treynor, Jensen, Sharpe and Modigliani could make so much money, why did they do Econs? 'I didn't apply my own theory.'

[Me: He looks very happy] He feeds on the expression on our faces. *mimes shocked look*

Help wee'mern and children (women)

Shed more light into this area (on)

[On a video about child prostitution] I hope you all will enjoy it.

[On Darwis Rianto Lim] They presented him 2 boys. He chose one. They went to his hotel room. Everything was revealed. Metaphorically.

I've met so many good men. There are so many good men out there. No male bashing here.

The vice squad doesn't have a hotline. AWARE wrote to them, we got the customer service hotline.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes