"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Saturday, January 28, 2006

"Never have children, only grandchildren." - Gore Vidal

***

7 days to Utrecht!


I am divided as to whether to buy textbooks in Singapore or wait till I get there. Some Law students tell me that Law textbooks are cheaper in the UK than here, but then many are written and published there, so that's not going to be an option.

When I visited the friendly NUS coop, they didn't have the one book I asked for (even though according to the PDF course descriptions on the NUS website it's used in one course). I could try Clementi Bookstore or Bras Basah, but there's the baggage allowance problem. I must call up my favourite airline to plea that I am but a penurious student who nonetheless flies them most loyally, and thus deserves a higher luggage allowance. Meanwhile, if that fails, my parents are only visiting in March so I can't piggyback on their allowance.

Alternatively, I can wait till I get there and buy books over the Internet from Bangladesh or India (even cheaper than in Singapore) - I'm told even air mailing a 2kg books from there costs but $7.

Finally, since the grades aren't counted I could always heck care and forget about buying textbooks. Yay.

Sister: why do u need to buy textbooks? i hardly bought any when i was an undergrad.

Me: You slack what. Anyway PS doesn't use (m)any textbooks. Economics does.


Royal Netherlands Embassy, Singapore

"Opening hours Embassy: Monday - Friday 09.00 - 12.00 and 13.30 - 15.00 hours.
Office hours Embassy: Monday - Friday 08.00 - 12.30 and 13.30 - 16.30 hours."

???

Someone: "that is kind of fucked up."

***

I think I know why Wikipedia is always so damn slow and needs so much money for hosting costs. Searching for "institution anthem" "Auspicium Melioris Aevi" (a modification of a search referral), I counted 36 different domains (I'm excluding SGWiki) which seem to be mirrors of Wikipedia, most of which seem to have been set up merely to harvest Google Adsense money. Damn spiders, just leeching for all they're worth.

I don't know why people like to label "a cappella" a musical genre. I'd classify it as a technique rather than a genre, since a cappella can be used to sing anything from Gregorian chant and motets to madrigals and folk songs to jazz and pop.

"All generalization are false, including this one."

***

Q. Why do most women pay more attention to their appearance than improving their minds?

A. Because most men are stupid but few are blind.


I like this one! Just like Mother Teresa, it manages to offend everyone.


Me: how come no one is ever accused of misoandry

Someone: cos all women have it
it's not unique anymore
it'll take something for a man to hate women though
=p
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes