"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Friday, January 07, 2011

Observations - 7th January 2011

"All science is either physics or stamp collecting." - Ernest Rutherford

***

I HATE links to links. Then either another link or a summary/teaser with a link. They make me dizzy. Putain !

Men plan to get wealth and power. Women plan for their weddings.

Never trust a critic who never has anything bad to say. Or the reverse.

More than one person has remarked to me that eye surgeons do not themselves do Lasik - even those who offer Lasik. Supposedly it's because after a few years you may need glasses again.

ChineseClass101.com claims that it's the Southern Chinese who're obsessed with getting rich, not the Northerners. I am skeptical.

Mysteries of the universe: what is the difference between moisturiser and hand cream?

Someone should leak a sex video of Julian Assange and see him defend "free speech" (though the police records being leaked and he complaining was amusing enough)


All good things must come to an end, but shit can go on falling.

"I think forgiveness in itself is another example of a universal human value that's been claimed by religions as their own... Whether religions stress the necessity of forgiveness for inane issues that need no forgiveness at all is a separate issue altogether. In that case, forgiveness becomes a passive-aggressive way of controlling behaviour."

The proverb that goes "He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever" only works in school. Elsewhere, people will forever know that you were dumb. Alternatively, we can find another proverb with the opposite meaning: "Even a fool, when he holds his peace, is counted wise: and he that shuts his lips is esteemed a man of understanding".

RT @ladyxtel: Don't give up. Keep holding on.
Me: Unless you're a stalker


PRCs all praise Singapore. I don't blame them. If I PRC I'd like Singapore too

A UOB telemarketer asked me if I had any friends who might be interested in his credit cards. I told him that I was sure that they all got calls already. I don't know if he got it.

Apparently normal white girls take their husbands' names when they marry. Meanwhile this is rare in Singapore. What was that about a patriarchal society?
Addendum: "Bb" in comments - "Sgp women only take their husband's name if it's an 'upgrade'. I do not know of any Sgp woman who did not take the opportunity to 'upgrade' to a new married name. On the other hand, white woman married to Sgp/Asian men mostly take their husbands' names. I only know of one (white American, married to Japanese) who did not and I think that was only because she would not have changed her name no matter what, even if she had married someone with a 'Western' surname. So, what does that say abt Sgp women?"

Because of the way the law is written in Singapore, caressing someone's chest counts as "assault" or "criminal force". I am informed that "assault in most commonwealth countries include causing fear of violence in the victim".

I am very amused by @xtravangaz's innovative use of social media! (I was thanked for my compliments. When I asked if I would get a discount, I was told that Belinda was having a discount)


Buffets in Singapore are advertised as eat all you can, not all you want - because people eat more than they want

I'm not sure what annoys me the most about Singaporean 'food blogs': bad English, faux-artsy pictures or gushing sans food critiques


An SMRT recruitment ad says they're looking for Leaders. So who's following the bus and taxi drivers?

"Being the one cabbie that never gets asked to follow another cabbie. Which leads me to the unmistakable conclusion that I must be the cabbie all the other cabbies are following"


@msvindicta: "When you've already won her heart, you don't need to win every argument."
Me: And when you've already won his ***, you don't need to win ANY argument

Twitter tip of the year RT @rahrahrah: this is awsum. i blocked @zodiacfacts and i dont get them even when people RT! YAY.
"yeahhhhh these horoscope tweets are annoying! you read can already la, RT for what sia. Do i care if you have a high sex drive?!!!"
Me: "Care if you want to bang him :)"
"but its usually girls who RTs zodiacfacts. oh so mayb they RT-ing for the boys hahaha"

"Women fall in love by what they hear. Men fall in love by what they see. That's why women put make up and men lie."

RT @eisen Girls, do you know what I'm thinking when I'm looking at your hair? I'm thinking how my hair is better-looking than yours. Hahaha!!!

RT @jemauvais: wonders why AWARE isn't kicking up a fuss that there isn't any 'My Girlfriend, Our Army' ad....

RT @markleggett What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Quadriplegics can bench press crazy amounts.

RT @dweam: Gotta love this quote: "Cleavage is like time, squeeze hard enough and you will get more." LOL!

RT @esti_d some Sg bloggers are too emo or socially aloof. Would it kill you to make a polite reply? They should be like @gssq

[On humans] "We are special because we eat full already got nothing better to do then to come up with meanings for life."
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes