"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

A great way to raise money. The bid as of time of posting - US$187.50 (S$305.72):


Send an Atheist to his local Church! (item 5660982226 end time Feb-03-06 19:45:27 PST)

I'm a 22-year-old Atheist from Chicago.  I stopped believing in God when I was 14.  Currently, I am an active volunteer for a couple different national, secular organizations.  For one of them, I am the editor of a newsletter that reaches over 1,000 Atheist/Agnostic college students.  I have written several Letters to the Editor to newspapers in and around Chicago, espousing my Atheistic beliefs when Church/State issues arose.  My point being that I don't take my non-belief lightly.  However, while I don't believe in God, I firmly believe I would immediately change those views if presented with evidence to the contrary.  And at 22, this is possibly the best chance anyone has of changing me.

So, here's my proposal.  Everytime I come home, I pass this old Irish church.  I promise to go into that church every day-- for a certain number of days-- for at least an hour each visit.  For every $16 ($10) you bid, I will go to the Church for 1 day.  For $82 ($50), you would have me going to mass every day for a week.

My promise: I will go willingly and with an open mind.  I will not say/do anything inappropriate.  I will respectfully participate in service, speak to priests, volunteer with the church if possible, do my best to learn about the religious beliefs of the church-goers, and make conversation with anyone who is willing to talk.  (Though I do reserve the rights to ask the person questions about the faith.)

I will record my visits through a journal, pictures, or whatever other method of proof you'd like-- I will uphold my promise.

Will I become religious?  Well, I don't know.  I really do have an open mind, but no one has convinced me to change my mind so far.  Then again, I have also never attended a real church service.  Perhaps being around a group of people who will show me "the way" could do what no one else has done before. 

If the Irish Church doesn't work for you, we'll just find some other place local to me.  I'll go to any place of worship-- a Christian Church, a Catholic Church [revision: I realize a Catholic Church is a Christian Church... so let me rephrase.  By Christian, I mean Protestant], a Mosque, a Synagogue, etc.  They're all nearby.  Makes no difference to me, but perhaps it's your faith that could change the mind of this Atheist. 

I also assure you that if you bid on this, I will write an article about my experiences in the newsletter mentioned earlier.  The article would reach over 1,000 college students who share my current views.  Even if you don't end up changing my mind, perhaps you can change theirs.

If you have any questions about this auction, I'd be glad to answer them.


There's also a blog: An Atheist Walks into a Church...

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes