"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Monday, December 16, 2002

Sometimes I get the feeling that my life is stuck in a rut. Inertia is not going to carry me along as it used to, so maybe it's time to climb out of it. Easier said than done.

I was moaning in Kairen's cubicle just now after an, ah, interview, but I seem to have recovered my equanimity now. Talking with my favourite Pioneer, whether in person or or through a medium, is always an interesting and enriching experience :)

Some people think I am anti-Islam. It is very easy to accuse me of being such, but I think an unprejudiced study of my posts will show that I am merely being open minded and holding rational discussions and disserting calmly. Real Muslim haters would be coming up with the rubbish that people use against Jews - improbably Zionist conspiracy theories, racial/religious inferiority and the like. That won't stop the Men In Black if they choose to come, but that is my defence.

I think censorship and muffling of people is very wrong. What can there possibly be that, when uttered, causes such grievous harm to someone that the utterer has to be muffled? If you don't like what you hear, just walk away or ignore the person. You certainly wouldn't want to be silenced for no good reason. The material that people desired censored may be offensive to some or many, but offence is in the mind of the beholder. Material that offends racial, religious or other groups may be banned wholesale because it is xenophobic or breeds hatred, but if it can be shown to be wrong, ludicrous and totally not based on fact, its case will collapse of its own accord. By banning something, you just show that you are afraid of it, and have no way to show that it is wrong. Perhaps that is because it, dare I say, has a grain of truth in it?

Freedom of speech is supposed to be had here, but of course there�s the clause about public health, order and morality. This qualifier can do wonders, for public interest is very broadly defined. It is noteworthy too that in the Soviet Union, freedom of speech was available � subject to the same restrictions.

I can see many advantages to He Who Shall Be Named's insistence on privacy (though some of them stem from patent paranoia and a desire to be Mr Mysterious), but I don't think I, with my latent (or otherwise) exhibitionist and attention-seeking tendencies will be able to pull it off.

Chinx pointed out to me that, "Has it ever occured to you that your weblog gets you into trouble whereever you go?". I have meditated upon that issue somewhat. I *could* remove all potentially controversial, offensive or aggravatory material from here, but then all that would be left would be fluff and angst. Bah. Hell, even 8 year old girl was disliked by some people despite (or maybe because of) the fact that she was too nice.


Quotes:

I'm very glad I didn't go to Chinese High

[On YC's Gah + Crap Place's banner] I'm very proud of my picture

[On my manning the safety signal set] Then next time not enough medics, get the signaller to do (if there are not, be one)

It's an RGS apology... qualified apology. They expect something in return.

I don't like RJ guys. I only like RJ girls... RJ girls rock.

HCJC - a lot of dark corners. I saw before... [Someone: Making out? Or...] Passionate kissing. [Me: Ah. *disparagingly]

Hua Chong [JC] is only happening when a lot of RGS girls go there
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes