"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Monday, February 10, 2014

France 2012 - Day 12 - Carcassonne (Part 1)

France 2012
Day 12 - 24th October - Carcassonne
(Part 1)

I woke up early to take the train to Carcassonne. My motto was: "I can sleep when I'm in the train".

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
I couldn't read this. I assumed it was in the local dialect.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Kodak"
Passé sign

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Defaced mural

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"3 Dragons. Japanese, Chinese, Thai specialities"
I didn't know dragons are a big thing in Thailand too.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"American Bar. Paris Hotel"
This bar was open at 5am. Wah.

I had almost reached the station - then I realised I had left my breakfast (delicious pastries) somewhere (probably the hotel). Gah. Even if I'd wanted to and been able to go back for it, there was no one there at this hour. Luckily I'd lugged some leftover food from Rambouillet so I ate cheese cubes and a chocolate coated gauffre.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Laïcité Esplanade"
HAH

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
As usual, normal Mastercard was not accepted by the SNCF. So I was unable to pick up my ticket; amazingly at 5:30am there were staff at the station but they couldn't help me, asking me to see the conductor. I said I couldn't collect my ticket from the machine and he knew it was probably a foreign card. Apparently it's a known problem, and he didn't ask to see it. Apparently Eurocard is a Mastercard brand so I don't know why normal Mastercards won't work.

Even though it was a 5:50am train, reservations were needed. Probably because it was the line to Bordeaux. There were very few people on the train and most were sleeping except the ones beside me; the food trolley girl and the passenger were flirting and she sat down to talk to him, since they were both hispanophones.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Butterfly toilet

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Misty fields

You couldn't smoke on the train, so at stops people popped their heads out to smoke before leaving. And it was too fast to finish a cigarette so I'm sure they threw them onto the tracks.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Sigean African Reserve ad. Open 365 days a year! Must be run by immigrants.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Thanks to Julien, Yvette's loneliness is nothing more than a distant memory"
At first I thought this was a matchmaking service for old people but it's an elderly befrienders service.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
The disabled have no style

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"SNCF is happy to inform you that this summer in Languedoc-Roussillon, 90% of TER trains arrived on time"
Gee.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Aude. Cathar Country"
They're so proud of their heretic heritage.

There was a bus that'd take me to the Old City but instead of waiting 45 minutes I decided to walk ~2.5km and reached the City at about the same time the bus would've.

At the SNCF station I passed over the Canal du Midi but at this point it was nothing special.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Early morning smog

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Cathar Country
Sites
Castles
Medieval Cities"

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
School

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Drawing school, library

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Nice house

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Pensive statue

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Mmm

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Artisan patîssier of France"

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Chinese restaurant. Dragon of Annam"
Bastardised food, I'm sure

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Carcasonne shrouded in mist
The old town lay across a river, surmounted by a bridge (the Pont Vieux from the 14th century - I took this from the new bridge - what you see is the old rustic stone one)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Bridge

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
On Bastide (Fortified Lower Town)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Town below

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Esoterism. Incense. Books. Parchments. Pendulums. Pentacles.
Well-being. Bath salts. Soaps. Vegetable ?. Essential oils. Massage oils."
Talisman hocus pocus shop

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Fat cat

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Even the town below the fortified city was pretty

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Glimpse of the way up

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
City from below

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Towers

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Way in left unguarded

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Rue du Four St Nazaire

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
On the fortified city

I hadn't been able to find my Hostelling International card so I had to get a new one. It used to be €7 according to the sign but now it was €11. Gah.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
My breakfast speculoos (spiced gingerbread) and pignon (pine nuts)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Looks nice in pictures, but good luck getting there.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
For some reason there were HI hostels in New Caledonia but not on Corsica.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
World Heritage List 1999

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"It is forbidden to offer a free drink containing alcohol to young people under the age of 18 in such places as bars, shops and any public area"
So do it in private!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Wifi... till 6pm?!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
You know the Castle of Carcassonne is a major tourist site because it is open daily

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
I opted for the "extensive visit through unusual places of the monument" since there were special sights. One of the staff members asked me why I didn't opt for the English audioguide since I spoke English, so I said "lieux insolites" (sic).

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Barbican

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
On the Barbican

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Moat

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Keep inside wall

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Courtyard

I was the only one on the tour with an old French guy guiding (it was off season so they didn't have an English-speaking guide). I think we didn't actually go anywhere 'insolite'. Maybe because I spent too much time talking history with him. Maybe I should've gone on the normal guided tour instead - mine was only 1.5 hrs though I think I asked for 2.5.

I saw my first French guy in a beret this France trip, eating at a restaurant. It was black too.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
2 x Guidebook-recommended restaurant - CLOSED

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"VAT drops, so do prices. Products with a red asterisk would benefit from a fall in VAT"

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
There was a square with lots of tourists - the Place Marcou, a square with only restaurants, and a lot of English menus. So it was probably a bad idea eating there. There's even a white box (to demarcate turf, presumably).

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Place du Chateau

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Bust of Jean-Pierre Cros-Mayrevieille, "the uncontested first recognised saviour of the city"

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Sundial

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Muscat and smoked salmon. The Salade Gourmande sounded nice but it had gésiers (gizzards).

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Huge dog

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Cassoulet. This was so rich and creamy and meat that I was giggling to myself (well, maybe the muscat, weather and the city contributed too).
Presumably the creaminess was due to mushed beans and fat. It was mostly beans sadly.
Unfortunately the flavour became the same after I was a third way through, so it wasn't that exciting.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
I don't know why I took this

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Tarte au citron

VAT here was only 7%. I asked the waiter why it was so low and he said it depended on the restaurant. Here it was 7% so I was lucky.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Idealised view of Carcassonne

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Wines of France. History of a Great Vintage"

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Lunch restaurant

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Biscuits

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Tourist trap street
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes