"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

France 2010 - Day 2, Part 1 - Paris: Sacré-Cœur, Montmartre

"Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from." - Al Franken

***

France 2010
Day 2 - 4th October - Paris: Sacré-Cœur, Montmartre
(Part 1)

I realised that it'd been 27 months since I'd enjoyed nice weather, and that since 1999, the longest time I'd gone without nice weather was 17 months (2001-2002) and the second longest had been 12. I wonder how many air miles that is (I've never bothered signing up for a program).

Using Google Maps, I found that I had walked at least 8.6km the previous day.

It seems they don't announce stops in the métro anymore. I still have vivid memories of Franklin Roosevelt.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Peines encourues en cas d'agressions commises sur des agents des transports publics voyageurs"
("Penalties incurred in the case of aggression committed upon employees of public transport")

I like how the penalties are clearly divided by severity of offence: 15 years of réclusion criminelle for mutilation or permanent infirmity, 5 years of emprisonnement (less severe, and you may get to go to a different type of prison) and 75.000€ for incapacitating an employee for more than 8 days and so on. And somehow, swearing at an SNCF agent alone gets you half the penalty of doing it with others ("commis en réunion").

However, I prefer, as it is more poetic and concise:


"No assault on Bus Captain" (Source)

There're hoodies that read "I ♥ Paris". Unfortunately when the drawstrings hang them, they sometimes make the heart look like it's broken.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Une mutuelle à ce prix là ? C'est le moment, je pars à la retraite !"
("A retirement home* at this price? Now's the time for me to retire!")
* - it's more complicated than that, but nevermind

Ads like this must be why there were riots in October.

I had to pick up somebody from the railway station, so while waiting for that I went to Montmartre, on top of which is the Basilica of Sacré-Cœur (Sacred Heart)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Anvers Métro exit, in Montmartre

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Why you shouldn't eat near Sacré-Cœur - a Croque Monsieur is 8€

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Sacré-Cœur

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
The String Scam: what will happen is that people will come up to you and want to show you something. They will then tie a string on your hand and ask you for friendship money and/or money for the string. If you refuse a group of them (all big and burly like the original person and/or group) will come up and intimidate you. They tried approaching me but like this couple here I was wise to their tricks and ignored them. I was tempted to shout "Je m'en fous" at them, but maybe they'd call in their gang to beat me up.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Further up on the way to Sacré-Cœur

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Dodgy goods on sale on La Butte

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


Paris Panorama from Montmartre, at the foot of the last flight of stairs

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Paris Panorama

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Very reassuring soldiers

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Sacré-Cœur: Door and ceiling above the door

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
I have no idea why anyone would want to come in after 11pm and pray. Maybe to escape the crowds.

Photography was still forbidden inside the Basilica, and I was too tired/injured to play camera games; now, even more so than in 2006, it is easy to find pictures online, so. In fact, there is a whole Wikimedia Commons category called "Interior of the Basilique du Sacré-Cœur de Montmartre". I still stand by my words on taking your own photos, though:

"photography frees me to seek my own angle and take on what I want to remember... even though I've found replacement pictures for some of my lost photos that sometimes exceed them in raw value, it is just not and can never be the same; the personal touch is important, for just as how a sex worker might be more skilled in the arts of the bedroom than your lover, nothing can beat the personal intimacy and familiarity which the latter affords."

The last time I had been inside it was during a service, so I didn't get to see much. Now I was able to appreciate it better, but after real Byzantine art, the faux-Byzantine was even more vulgar.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
View from the top of the top flight of stairs. Height is not everything.


Montmartre busking


Football tricks: this guy was quite good. Comme qu'il y avait trop beaucoup de gonzesses qui me bloquaient, il fallait cesser de filmer

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Spectacular tricks

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
This guy one flight of stairs below was not so good (the ball fell off him). The lack of music did not endear the crowd to him either.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Bouchée aux crevettes"
("Plugged to the shrimps", i.e. Siu Mai)
I exchanged some words with the shop owner, who was PRC. He said he knew it was wrong but had paid a company in order to do it. This being in a row of Halal shops (this fact will become possibly significant later), I had a "Nêm aux porc" (the French for this was also wrong, but I suppose he couldn't blame the company for this one)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
This is cheap Japanese food

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Au Rendez-vous des Artistes"
("At the meeting place of artists" - where artists go to get ripped off)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Rue des Martyrs

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
This apron cost 10€.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes