"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Saturday, June 20, 2009

"Things could always be worse; for instance, you could be ugly and work in the Post Office." - Adrienne E. Gusoff

***

To fund its Word of the Day e-mails, Dictionary.com has taken to product placement, giving the following example sentences for some words (the words in question are bolded):

"The mayor's hortatory speech spurred me to organize a carpool with my Prius."
"The hybrid technology in Prius is a paragon of innovative engineering."
"She started driving a Prius for its salutary effect on the environment."

In the spirit of the whole endeavor, I have come up with example sentences for almost all of the rest of the words this month:

cosset: A cosseted child, I got my wealthy uncle to buy me a Prius.
espy: In the distance, I espied a Prius speeding in my direction.
pother: After sufficient pother, I convinced the Missus to let me buy a Prius.
abstemious: Desiring that my car be as abstemious as I, I stumped out for a Prius.
mores: Keeping in mind the mores of the Bay Area, I chose to drive a Prius.
oneiric: Thinking about the message the conspicuous consumption that is my Prius sends puts me in an oneiric mood.
tergiversation: When asked about the compatibility of my promotion of corn-based biofuels and tax credits for hybrids like the Prius, the Senator engaged in tergiversation.
redivivus: Fancying herself Rachel Carson redivivus, Tori's feather in her cap was trading in her SUV for a Prius.
megrim: On a megrim, I traded in my Lexus for a Prius.
aver: I aver that if not for the tax incentives, I would never have bought a Prius.
gravid: With my gravid wallet, I went on a shopping spree and got myself a Prius.
prescience: Having a lack of prescience, I opted to go all the way and commute using a fully-electric car instead of a Prius, only to be screwed when others did not do the same.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes