"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Saturday, May 17, 2003

Argh.

As some might know, my CPU got fried by an errant USB hub.

I brought it to a shop (a neighbourhood type), and they charge $180 for an athlon xp 2000. However, it's about $140 on average at Sim Lim and supposedly they'll install it for free, and I can bring my motherboard manual down to ask if it's compatible with the chip.

Meanwhile my father's going on about how a new computer will break down less and have a 1 year on site, 2 year carry in warranty. He is also gloating about how he warned me not to upgrade 1 1/2 years ago, and how it was very expensive.

So far: the fan's fallen out last year, and the motherboard exploded when I installed a new power supply. So. Do I get a new one?

If I can get one with a tower unit only, without external peripherals I already have, it should be cheaper, but I'm not sure how many companies offer that service. I thought they only sell bundled systems. And then what happens to my old data? I suspect the warranty will be voided if I install an extra hard disk.


I'm leaning towards going to a shop and buying a new system, asking them to install my old hdds and selling off my old parts for a pittance. My sister brings up a good point - it might be worth the money just to forestall the bitching and nagging.

I don't know why I've run into so many problems with this custom built system. Everyone else seems to be having few or no problems with their DIY rigs. I think money wise I haven't been too short-changed, as compared to if I'd gotten a new computer. In terms of frustration, though...
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes