"The happiest place on earth"

Get email updates of new posts:        (Delivered by FeedBurner)

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

On University Education in Singapore vs education abroad

A: having studied overseas, i think that education in Singapore is so inferior, so so inferior.

Me: People who have studied overseas tell me that overseas is very diverse, and even in places where it's supposed to be better isn't necessarily

And my exchange experiences lead me to a similar conclusion

A: I dunno. I had very good experience. Perhaps because I'm doing it at a graduate level and all my teachers are experienced and know what they are doing. So much so that I think my years in NUS are a waste. I only learn how to read properly overseas.

Frigid Girl: I assume if one is smart and reads widely enough like gabriel is and does, it doesn't need to be taught. You won't even need to blame the system for it.

B: i think Sg education ok wad.. I thought USP did great.. but not Bizad..

A: [Frigid Girl], you kinda explain why Gabriel is so anti-feminist.

USP modules taught by USP perm professors are great; those taught by attached professors from other faculties are not so great.

Frigid Girl: what's this got to do with feminism? clearly your vaunted foreign education sitll hasn't lifted you above the muck, you sitll exhibit the thought processes of an illogical 9 year old

C: i agree, bringing feminism into this discussion... well, can you explain the link?

also, i think my sg education is fine and i would lean towards gabe's conclusion - overseas IS diverse, may be better, may be worse, even if it's supposed to be better.

and if you only learnt how to "read" properly overseas...hmn.

D: so I've studied at usp@nus in singapore, also, grew up in singapore, but i'm doing the rest of my college education in the states and i've also studied abroad in the uk.

given these experiences, i feel that pre-tertiary education in singapore is academically really good. my brief time at usp in nus was also transformative in several ways and i was generally impressed at the level of academic engagement and rigor there. here in the states, my course work is about as challenging as that in nus, and in some ways even more because of the different grading system and criteria. but singaporean students generally do well here, although there are many reasons for this. in the one term that i was studying in the uk, however, i felt really stifled by the university's system and did not feel like i learned a lot. it reminded me very much of the jc system in singapore, which even nus seems to be moving away from.

what i really like about my school in the states, and to some extent, my time in the uk, however, is the social life and the opportunities for social and personal growth that i get here. i didn't feel like i got any of that at nus and in singapore generally. even when in london, i had a good time socially and that made up for the other aspects that i wasn't as happy about. but i'm just surprised at how little of a campus life nus had when i was there.

partly, i think it's because of the culture there that doesn't seem to emphasize social competition and interaction as much, and i think this is what makes the education in singapore 'average'. but purely academically, i think education in singapore is actually more than decent. but this just my 2 cents, i guess, and there are lots of disclaimers i should put up here but i assume you already know this.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Latest posts (which you might not see on this page)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes